Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

New Youth Virtual Hub Launched

Algoma Family Services as part of an alliance of community partners (Algoma Children’s Aid Society, Algoma District School Board, Algoma Family Services, Algoma Public Health, Canadian Mental Health Association, Future SSM, Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board, the John Howard’s Society, Northern Youth Services, Sault Area Hospital, SSM District Social Services Administration Board, SSM Innovation Centre, and the SSM Police Services) ...

Read More »

Ice Fishing Derby is over – Wawa tops Ontario in Town Points

Ontario’s COVID-safe ice fishing tournament is over. Wawa had 135 anglers with 1,638 fish caught. Wawa remained #1 provincially in ‘town points’! Wawa had 11 anglers place in the top 10 provincially, with one in the top 3 – Kathleen Johnson caught 557 fish throughout the derby. The Wawa standings are charted below. The prizes will be posted as soon ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 8th

Happy International Women’s Day!   Weather: Mainly cloudy with 60% chance of light snow early this morning and 40% chance of rain showers this afternoon. Risk of freezing drizzle early this morning. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light early this afternoon. High plus 4. Wind chill minus 6 this morning. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with ...

Read More »

Highway 11 (New Liskeard to Kenogami) – CLOSED

Hwy 11 closed from New Liskeard to Kenogami due to a collision (11:00 a.m.). There is a detour is available at Hwy 65 and Whitewood in New Liskeard to Hwy 66 Jct in Kenogami for northbound traffic and from Hwy 66 Jct in Kenogami to Hwy 65/Whitewood Jct in New Liskeard for southbound traffic.  

Read More »

Morning News – March 6th

Weather: Sunny. Wind north 20 km/h becoming light early this afternoon. High minus 7. Wind chill minus 25 this morning and minus 12 this afternoon. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Clear. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 26. Wind chill minus 16 this evening and minus 30 overnight. Risk of frostbite. The Montreal River Radar is not ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP – Numerous Charges laid after CDSA warrant executed

On March 4, 2021, at 6:00 p.m., members of the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) attended a townhouse on Spruce Avenue in Elliot Lake to execute a Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) warrant.   The OPP’s Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU), East Algoma Crime Unit, Organized Crime Enforcement Bureau (OCEB), the Canine Unit, Emergency Response Team (ERT), and ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 5th

Weather: Sunny. Wind becoming north 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High minus 3. Wind chill minus 23 this morning and minus 10 this afternoon. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – A few clouds. Wind north 20 km/h. Low minus 18. Wind chill minus 13 this evening and minus 25 overnight. The Montreal River Radar is not showing ...

Read More »

Plant-based Diner Opens in Wawa Tomorrow!

Wawaites will have a new place to eat starting tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. The former Mr. Mugs Coffee & Donuts is now the ‘End of the Line’ Diner offering a plant-based menu. Emily Jusic, her sister (the baker), and her daughter have been hard at work cleaning, recipe perfection, menu development and just getting ready. There was so much ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 4th

Weather: Sunny. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 6. Wind chill minus 28 this morning and minus 10 this afternoon. Risk of frostbite. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Clear. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 19. Wind chill minus 14 this evening and minus 22 overnight. The weather radar at Montreal River is clear, showing no ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – March 3

The library will be open to the public beginning Tuesday, March 2, 2021!  Open Tuesday-Friday from 11:00am-4:00pm! Patrons must wear a face mask and hand sanitizer must be used upon entering.  If patrons cannot wear a face mask we are happy to continue curbside pickup but a proper mask covering face, nose and chin must be worn.  Face shields alone ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 3rd

Weather: Cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries this morning. Wind becoming north 20 km/h late this afternoon. High minus 4. Wind chill minus 19 this morning and minus 9 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Cloudy. Becoming partly cloudy late this evening. Wind north 20 km/h becoming light after midnight. Low minus 21. Wind chill minus 14 ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 2nd

Weather: Becoming cloudy this morning then periods of snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High minus 4. Wind chill minus 24 this morning and minus 10 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Periods of snow ending before morning then cloudy. Amount 2 cm. Wind west 20 km/h ...

Read More »

Morning News – March 1

Weather: A mix of sun and cloud with 60 percent chance of flurries this morning. Becoming sunny this afternoon. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light this morning. High minus 13. Wind chill minus 28 this morning and minus 19 this afternoon. Risk of frostbite. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Clear. Increasing cloudiness overnight. Wind up to 15 km/h. ...

Read More »

Highway Closures – 6:56

Mar 1, 2021 at 06:56 Highway 11 has been opened.   Mar 1, 2021 at 04:55 Hwy631 has reopened in both directions (Hornepayne to Highway 11).   Mar 1, 2021 at 03:55 Hwy 11 is closed between Geraldton to Cochrane. Hwy 11 reduced to one lane south of Cochrane due to a disabled transport. Disabled Vehicle on HWY 11 Southbound ...

Read More »