Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

Happening at Wawa First United – March 20

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. Thurs    Mar.  21    Official Board Meeting – 1 p.m. Sat.        Mar.  23   Prayer Shawl Ministry  – 3 p.m. Mon.     Apr.  01    U.C.W.  – ...

Read More »

What Happened at Council – March 19

Last night Council held a regular council meeting at 6:30 p.m., by 6:38 it was over. Mayor Ron Rody and Councllor Rob Reece were absent. Mayor Rody for personal reasons, and Councillor Reece as he was delayed on his return from vacation. Acting Mayor Pat Tait quipped that perhaps he had been delayed as a result of the grounding of ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – March 20

Weather – Periods of snow. Amount 2 cm. High plus 2. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers this evening and after midnight then partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 2. Wind chill near minus 5. News Tidbits – The Legion continues to raise funds for their ...

Read More »

What Happened at Council – March 5

Municipal Council held a council meeting on March 8th, 2019. Mayor Rody welcomed Maury O’Neill to her first council meeting as CAO of the Municipality of Wawa. After the meeting was called to order and the agenda approved, Mayor Rody spoke briefly about the past weekend’s derby and the benefits for our community, as well as thanking staff and residents ...

Read More »

Fireworks International – The results are in!

The 12 companies have each made their decisions. The results of the Fireworks.International Test Shot Photo Contest will be announced on Friday, March 22nd. You can view all qualifying submissions in our wrap-up video seen above. Which pictures will win the following prizes? Station Mall – $100 Gift Card Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste Marie – Free Night Stay Algoma ...

Read More »

Council Meeting Tonight – March 19

Council will hold a regular Council meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers. All members of the public are invited to attend. Agenda CALL TO ORDER & NOTE MEMBERS PRESENT PRESENTATIONS REVIEW OF ADDENDUM & APPROVAL OF AGENDA Approval of the Agenda ANNOUNCEMENTS, GIVING OF NOTICE AND SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS Library Board Meeting – Monday, March 18, 2019, at 7:00 ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – March 19

Weather – A mix of sun and cloud. Fog patches dissipating this morning. Wind becoming south 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. High plus 1. Wind chill minus 13 in the morning. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy. Flurries beginning late this evening. Risk of freezing drizzle late this evening and after midnight. Local amount 2 cm. ...

Read More »

Ontario’s maple syrup season to peak with Maple Weekend, April 6 and 7

The launch of Ontario’s maple syrup season is right on schedule for 2019, and producers across the province are looking forward to showcasing a new crop of sweet liquid gold during the 5th annual MapleWeekend, April 6 and 7, 2019. Hosted by the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers’ Association (OMSPA), Maple Weekend is a fun, free, two-day, family-friendly event that celebrates ...

Read More »

Wawa Community Food Bank – March 2019

Wawa Community Food Bank wishes to acknowledge the support of many people over the January to March interval.  We have received financial donations and items as varied as eggs, milk, fruit and vegetables, pet food, knitted winter wear, socks and crocheted crib blankets. Thank you so much to Nancy Donald, Linda Farrington, Lorne Leclair, Lila Peterson, Lorraine Pihelgas, Melanie Pilon, ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – March 18

Weather -Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h near noon. High minus 2. Wind chill minus 21 in the morning and minus 8 in the afternoon. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries this evening and after midnight. Fog patches developing near midnight. Wind southwest 20 km/h ...

Read More »

Legion Appeal Brings Back Memories for Oldtimer John Morrison

The Wawa Legion Branch’s appeal for financial assistance (“Lift for the Legion”) has prompted me to think about my association with the local Legion, commencing when I was in public school and the concrete forms for that building were put in place. My Dad (Neil Morrison) took me to the construction site because they said they had a job for ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – March 15

Weather – Periods of rain changing to periods of snow early this morning. Fog patches dissipating this morning. Snowfall amount 2 cm. Wind becoming north 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. Temperature falling to minus 3 this afternoon. Wind chill minus 10 in the afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight- Periods of snow ending near midnight then cloudy ...

Read More »

Spring Thaw makes a mess!

  Yesterday, many people could be seen frantically pulling snow off of their roofs in anticipation of the 20 – 30 centimeters of rain that was forecasted to hit Wawa and the area today. The rain did fall overnight and today, and it was quite heavy at times. Today, driveways were the focus for residents as many dug drainways to ...

Read More »

Picture of the Day – Mission has water!

Mar 14, 2019 @ 19:20 Well, the beautiful sun has gone, and so has the water over Silver Falls. Yesterday, the tap was turned off. Mar 13, 2019 @ 08:40 The sun was bright yesterday, and puddles were growing everywhere. The most welcome sign of spring though is the flow of water over Silver Falls! Thanks to Eric Rogers who ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – March 14

Weather – Rain at times heavy. Risk of a thunderstorm this afternoon. Fog becoming fog patches near noon. Amount 10 to 20 mm. Wind southeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 6. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Periods of rain changing to periods of snow before morning. Fog patches dissipating overnight. Rainfall amount 5 mm. Wind south 20 ...

Read More »