Local News

Time to Vote!

If you have not voted yet, today is your last day to make your choice for Council. You may vote by phone, online, or at a station at the MMCC from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Candidates for Wawa Municipal Council are: Bill Chiasson (Current Councillor) Sandra Weitzel (Current Councillor) Pat Tait (Current Councillor) James Brown Cathy Cannon Micheline Hatfield Robert Reece ...

Read More »

Cessna Makes Emergency Landing at Obatanga

    Yesterday afternoon at 12:30,  this Cessna 180 made an emergency landing on Highway 17 north of Wawa, at Obatanga Provincial Park. The above photos are screen shots from a video taken by Brian Outinen. The weather was poor at the time with rain and sleet/snow, but there doesn’t appear to be any damage to the aircraft. According to a ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – October 22

Weather – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries this morning and 40 percent chance of rain showers late this afternoon. High 7. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Rain showers changing to a few flurries overnight. Low plus 1. Marine Weather – Strong wind warning in effect. Wind southwest 10 knots increasing to southwest 15 near noon ...

Read More »

We Scare Hunger is at John’s ValuMart today!

Northern Lights Ford is ramping up our efforts for the final 2 weeks of our We Scare Hunger Campaign and will be at John’s Valu-mart this Saturday, October 20 from 11:00 to 2:00, and next Saturday, October 27 from 11:00 to 2:00 where you can make a donation of  any non-perishable food item or a monetary donation.  Let’s stop hunger ...

Read More »

A Red Dress at Agawa

  A Red Dress was hanging at the abandoned and burnt out shell of what was once a gas station, restaurant, and residence. These photos were taken on October 9th. The RCMP report “Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women: A National Operational Overview” brought to the public eye the sobering fact that a total of 1,181 people — 164 missing Indigenous women ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – October 19

Weather – Increasing cloudiness. 40 percent chance of showers late this morning and this afternoon. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming northwest 20 gusting to 40 this afternoon. High 11. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of rain showers changing to 60 percent chance of flurries after midnight. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50. ...

Read More »

LANGDON-HAMAN, Aline

Passed away suddenly at the Sudbury Health Sciences on Tuesday, October 16, 2018, at the age of 82 years.  Beloved wife of Bert Haman.  Loving mother of Larry Langdon (Joanne) and Richard Langdon.  Proud grandmother of Stephanie (Andrew) and great-grandmother of Zara.  Aline will be fondly remembered by Bert’s children Lise Haman (Tom), Line Begin (Gilles), Anne Haman, Lucie Haman ...

Read More »

Cupcakes for a Cure is Tomorrow!

  Tomorrow is the Lady Dunn Health Centre’s 4th Annual “CUPCAKES FOR A CURE”. Did you know that 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, and chances are you or someone you know will be affected! Every year local cancer survivors and friends bake and decorate cupcakes with love and hope, and then sell them in the ...

Read More »

Last Days of the 2018 Municipal Election Campaign

  We are in the last days of the 2018 Municipal Election. The Coffee & Cake was attended by a number of interested voters who had questions for the candidates. All candidates participated and the evening was very interesting. Voters may vote by phone, online, or at a station at the MMCC next Monday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – October 18

Weather – A mix of sun and cloud. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High 8. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – A few clouds. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light after midnight. Low 6. Marine Weather – Strong wind warning in effect. Wind northwest 15 to 20 knots backing to southwest ...

Read More »

Lake Effect Snow between Montreal River & St. Joseph Island

This Special Weather Statement ended at 6:06 p.m. Wednesday, October 17, 2018.   10:36 AM EDT Wednesday 17 October 2018 Special weather statement in effect for: Sault Ste. Marie – St. Joseph Island Searchmont – Montreal River Harbour – Batchawana Bay Lake effect snow today. Cold northwesterly winds blowing across the relatively warm waters of Lake Superior are expected to ...

Read More »