Headlines

Municipal Council Meeting Tonight – August 18

Council is holding a Special Council Meeting tonight in Council Chambers. The public is invited to attend electronically.   CALL TO ORDER DISCLOSURE OF PECUNIARY INTEREST APPROVAL OF AGENDA Approval of the Agenda DELEGATIONS/PRESENTATIONS ANNOUNCEMENTS AND GIVING OF NOTICE Federal-Provincial Safe Restart -Emergency Funding Assistance ADOPTION OF MINUTES STAFF REPORTS BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF PREVIOUS MEETING NEW BUSINESS Receive Integrity ...

Read More »

SE OPP Dubreuilville – Sault Man arrested after Domestic Dispute

On August 12, 2020, at approximately 2:00 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute that occurred the night prior in a remote area near Dubreuilville. As a result of the investigation, a 29-year-old person, from Sault Ste. Marie, was arrested and charged with the following: Assault – Spousal, contrary ...

Read More »

The Great Escape Dream Draw is Back and Going Digital!

Algoma Family Services (AFS) Foundation is proud to announce the return of the annual Great Escape Dream Draw throughout Sault Ste. Marie and the Algoma District. This year marks the 24th Anniversary. Due to concerns involving Covid-19 the draw had been delayed from its original draw date in May. With Covid-19 still in mind The Great Escape Dream Draw has ...

Read More »

Hwy 17 – (Heyden Weigh Scales) Highway – UPDATE

Aug 17, 2020 at 08:57 Highway 17 is now open to one lane at the collision site – please be aware that emergency personnel may still be on scene. The location has been updated, to the weigh scales at Heyden. Aug 17, 2020 at 08:13 A person at the scene is saying that Highway 17 is blocked due to a ...

Read More »

Morning News Tidbits – August 17

Weather – Increasing cloudiness. 40 percent chance of showers late this morning and this afternoon. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 20. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers this evening. Clearing near midnight. Low 10. Statistics from Algoma Public Health  – August 17, 2020 Algoma Public Health is in the process ...

Read More »

Complaint of Suspicious Male in Queen’s Park – UPDATED

Aug 16, 2020 at 13:43 Wawa-news has called and received confirmation that the red Dodge pickup is no longer of interest. “We still don’t have any further details to add at this time.” As such the photos of the vehicle have been removed. Please update your shares on social media.   Aug 16, 2020 at 11:06 Superior East OPP were ...

Read More »

Men’s Night Golf – August 14

114 Players 1st FLIGHT: Jeremi Lord, Dimitri levesque, Shane Sherman – 6 under par 30 2nd FLIGHT: Bernie Erechook, Derek Chapman, spare – 3 under par 33 3rd FLIGHT: John Simon, Max Simon, Jeff Amos – 2 under par 34 4th FLIGHT: Brandon Case, Bradley Case, Dean Willand – 1 under par 35 5th FLIGHT: Scott Robinson, Vic Sillanpaa, Paul ...

Read More »

Someone broke their truck…

  A Wawa-news reader took these photos to share. They are of a vehicle upside down in the ditch near Black Thunder Enterprises, MFN. There is police tape around the vehicle. Wawa-news hopes there were no injuries.

Read More »

Joey Landreth Figures Bryan Adams Is Going 2 B Big Someday

…and that day just happens to be 2day 🤣. Of course, it is the other way around, but how else could I insert my witty Seinfeld meme. Anyway, according to Joey, as I inquired if he was on a personal relationship with Bryan, he responded no, not all… he actually reached out to me on Instagram and said ‘Hey, I like ...

Read More »

Morning News Tidbits – August 15

Weather – Increasing cloudiness. 60 percent chance of showers this afternoon with risk of a thunderstorm. Wind becoming south 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning then light near noon. High 25. Humidex 30. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers this evening and after midnight. Low 12. Statistics from Algoma Public Health  ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Respond to Chemical Spill near Rabbit Blanket Lake

On August 13, 2020, at approximately 4:40 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a chemical spill on Highway 17 near Rabbit Blanket Lake. A commercial motor vehicle was forced to take evasive action in order to avoid a collision which resulted in one of its onboard totes to rupture and leak ...

Read More »

Two Wawa Students awarded 2020 NCU Succeed Youth Bursary

Northern Credit Union has announced the winners of the 2020 CU Succeed Youth Bursary. This bursary is offered to Northern Credit Union members in partnership with the Ontario Credit Union Foundation.  In total, the program will award $10,000. The bursary was open to post-secondary students in Ontario who have applied for academic, vocational, or technical programs with winning applications demonstrating ...

Read More »

Morning News Tidbits – August 14

Weather – Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. High 27. Humidex 34. UV index 9 or very high. Tonight – Partly cloudy. Becoming clear this evening. Low 16.   Statistics from Algoma Public Health  – August 13, 2020 (8:30 a.m.) Algoma regions where residents have tested positive for COVID-19 include the following: Sault Ste. Marie & ...

Read More »

Hwy 17 (Wawa to SSM) OPEN

all lanes are open. Aug 13, 2020 at 21:52 Wawa-news has been told that Hwy 17 is now open to one lane. Please exercise caution in the area as emergency services and OPP are still at scene. Aug 13, 2020 at 18:06 Highway 17 is closed at this time at Rabbit Blanket due to a transport trailer rollover. Reports from ...

Read More »

Ladies Night Golf – August 12

75 Players 1st FLIGHT: Lise Noel, Toni Rutland, Spare – 36 2nd FLIGHT: Danette Mathias, Christina Portis, Spare – 43 3rd FLIGHT: Linda Guindon, Louise Moran, Paula Valois – 45 4th FLIGHT: Diane Spencer, Melissa Terris, Linda Sillanpaa – 47 5th FLIGHT: Darlene Trovarello, Caroline Desgagne, Paula Bailey – 52 SPECIAL EVENTS WINNERS: AJ’s Pizza – 3 Steaks – Longest ...

Read More »