Headlines

Alamos Gold Breaks Ground for Phase III Expansion

  Alamos Gold Inc. held a groundbreaking celebration for the Island Gold Mine expansion. This expansion will increase production, lower costs, and be an economic engine for the Algoma region. The expansion will also best position the operation to benefit from additional exploration success. John A. McCluskey, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated: “When we first acquired the Island Gold ...

Read More »

Cossette family to re-launch Wawa Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Mill

Today, the Cossette family is proud to announce plans to re-launch the Oriented Strand Board (OSB) mill located in Wawa, in the riding of Algoma-Manitoulin. The family has been a major player in the Quebec forestry industry for over 65 years. Three generations are now committed to continuing the vision and passing on the family values. The Ontario Government announced ...

Read More »

I like being in School

Those who are regular followers of this column will recall that I was bemoaning the fact that I miss what, up until two years ago, was a relatively high number of invitations to visit schools and classrooms. You might say that I have sort of a strong anti-hooky drive in me. I like being in school. I have been told ...

Read More »

J’aime être à l’école

Ceux qui suivent régulièrement cette chronique se souviendront que je déplorais le fait de manquer ce qui, jusqu’à il y a deux ans, était un nombre relativement élevé d’invitations à visiter des écoles et des salles de classe.  J’aime être à l’école. On m’a dit que c’est peut-être parce qu’en leur présence, je peux jouer l’âge que je ressens mentalement, ...

Read More »

Morning News – April 11

Apr 11, 2022 at 07:56 Weather: Today – Cloudy. Periods of rain beginning this morning and ending this afternoon then 60% chance of showers. Periods of snow over higher terrain this morning. Wind southeast 20 km/h gusting to 60 becoming southwest 40 gusting to 70 this afternoon. High 6. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Partly cloudy. 40% chance ...

Read More »

WFD Called to Residence on Tamarack

Just before 3 a.m. the Wawa Fire Department was called to a residence on Tamarack Avenue. Firefighters under air were seen carrying extinguishers into the residence, but there were no signs of smoke. Firefighters cleared the scene at 3:20 a.m.

Read More »

Update: Drinking Water Information Notice

The Municipality of Wawa, in consultation with Algoma Public Health, is pleased to announce that chlorine concentrations have returned to normal levels at the water treatment plant and chlorine levels in the distribution system have returned to levels in which smell and or taste should no longer be an issue. We have been working diligently, monitoring chlorine levels and flushing ...

Read More »

Morning News – April 8

Apr 8, 2022 at 07:56 Weather: Today – Periods of snow. Amount 2 cm. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40. High zero. Wind chill -14 this morning. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Cloudy with 60% chance of flurries. Wind north 20 km/h becoming light late this evening. Low -7. Wind chill near -10. COVID Statistics: Current Previous ...

Read More »

LDHCF Catch the Ace – Week 41 Winner is…

Apr 7, 2022 at 08:01 Congratulations to Chris Mitchell, winner of Week 41 of the Foundation’s Catch the Ace Lottery! The envelope (#36) that was selected contained the Ten of Spades, winning $1,980. There are 11 cards left to draw from, with the progressive pot next week is estimated at $42,111. Monies from the Catch the Ace are used to ...

Read More »

News from St. Monica’s Parish – April 2022

Three (3) Priests from the Society of African Missions will be guests of Father Michael this weekend (April 8-10) and will be participating in the services while here. The Society currently has about 1000 members coming from Africa, America, Asia and Europe and work in a number of African countries as well as Europe, the Americas and Asia. Father Michael ...

Read More »

Morning News – April 7

Apr 7, 2022 at 07:56 Weather: Today – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of rain showers or flurries this morning. Periods of snow beginning near noon except periods of rain near Lake Superior. High plus 3. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Periods of snow except periods of rain near Lake Superior early this evening. Amount 2 to ...

Read More »

Kingsview Minerals Significantly Expands Land Position

Kingsview Minerals Ltd. is pleased to announce that the Company has added to its existing portfolio of mineral exploration properties located in Wawa, Ontario, by acquiring an additional 7,691 hectares (“ha”) in the Michipicoten Greenstone Belt (the “Property Expansion”). Kingsview now controls 11,854 ha, representing one of the largest land packages in this gold-rich region. The majority of the claims ...

Read More »

L’Ontario élargit l’admissibilité à la quatrième dose

Le gouvernement de l’Ontario, en consultation avec le médecin hygiéniste en chef, élargit l’admissibilité à la quatrième dose du vaccin contre la COVID-19 aux personnes âgées de 60 ans et plus ainsi qu’aux membres des Premières Nations, aux Inuits et aux Métis, ainsi qu’aux membres de leur ménage non-Autochtones, âgés de 18 ans et plus à compter du 7 avril ...

Read More »

Ontario Expanding Fourth-Dose Eligibility

The Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health, is expanding eligibility for fourth doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to individuals aged 60 and over as well as First Nation, Inuit and Métis individuals and their non-Indigenous household members aged 18 and over starting on April 7, 2022. Expanding booster eligibility will provide an extra layer of ...

Read More »

Wawa Receives $332,264 for New Airport Runway Lighting from Federal Government

Mayor Pat Tait and Council are pleased to share that the Municipality of Wawa recently received funding under the Government of Canada’s Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI) to support the purchase and installation of new airport runway lighting at the Wawa Regional Airport. The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Indigenous Services and Minister responsible for FedNor, made the official funding ...

Read More »