Headlines

The Beer Store reduces store hours, pauses recycling

The Beer Store is reducing store hours and pausing recycling until March 31 to enhance efforts to protect employees and customers. As we continue to closely monitor COVID-19, the Beer Store will reduce store hours to 10am to 7pm, Monday through Saturday, as of March 19th. Stores that operate from 10am to 6pm are unaffected. Sunday hours remain unchanged. All ...

Read More »

Mike Mantha MPP – Wednesday, March 18th Update

The Federal Government has announced a package of supports for people in this crisis. I have pasted in a summary below. More details will be needed but it appears to address some of the income insecurity and small business supports that people have been asking for. The official NDP response is added in below. The legislature is coming back on ...

Read More »

The Lady Dunn Health Centre (LDHC) COVID-19 Facility Update

LDHC is closely monitor the corona virus pandemic and would like to provide an update to our communities on the status of access to our facility, as well as our programs and services.   Visitation – Restricted visitation continues to be  in effect. Only one to two people visiting patients or residents who are very ill or requiring end-of-life care, or ...

Read More »

Thank you – Wawa Ice Fishing Derby

Although the Derby Board (Scott, Shayne, Michelle, Garth, Rob, Gayle and Anne) prepare for months for the Derby, it is the participation of community-minded volunteers that actually make the Derby such a success. The Oxford dictionary defines a “volunteer” as “a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task”, and without these volunteers, the Derby simply could ...

Read More »

Dear Patients of the Wawa Family Health Team

Due to the current and impending COVID-19 pandemic, we will be making temporary changes in the way we deliver your care.  Our goal is to minimize potential exposure to as many people as possible, while freeing up resources to attend to those who require urgent care.   Starting immediately: we will no longer be booking routine appointments (including routine physicals, ...

Read More »

Chers patients de l’équipe de santé familiale Wawa

En raison de la pandémie actuelle et imminente du COVID-19, nous apportons des changements temporaires à la manière dont nous vous dispensons des soins.  Notre objectif est de réduire au maximum l’exposition potentielle d’un plus grand nombre de personnes possible, tout en libérant des ressources pour nous occuper de ceux qui ont besoin de soins urgents.   Dès à présent : ...

Read More »

Letter – Greater Need for Testing in Algoma and Wawa

Dear Mayor Rody and Chief Tangie, I’m writing to you this morning in regards to Ontario’s response to COVID-19 and what it might mean for the people of Wawa and the Whitesands Reserve. As you know, Algoma District Public Health confirmed it’s first positive case for COVID-19 in Algoma late last night. You may have a better idea of where the person ...

Read More »

More Snow on the way for Thursday

12:09 PM EDT Wednesday 18 March 2020 Special weather statement in effect for: Wawa – Pukaskwa Park White River – Dubreuilville Marathon – Schreiber Nipigon – Rossport Geraldton – Longlac – Caramat Manitouwadge – Hornepayne Nakina – Aroland – Pagwa Beardmore – Jellicoe – Macdiarmid Significant snowfall expected Thursday into Thursday night. An approaching low pressure system will track over ...

Read More »

LDHCF Catch the Ace Temporarily Suspended

In light of the current COVID-19 situation, the Foundation will be temporarily suspending Catch the Ace and will be revisiting the situation on March 31, 2020.  When the Catch the Ace resumes, it will pick up from where we left off and continue as usual with our Week #11. The Foundation would like to remind everyone to be socially responsible ...

Read More »

Wawa gets really quiet

Over the years since Algoma Ore closed Wawa has been changing into a quiet, rural town. However, with the social distancing restrictions placed upon the community by the risks of spreading COVID-19; Wawa is looking like a ghost town. Behind the scenes though there is lots of activity. Wawa residents have been using social media to reach out and help, ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United Church – March 18

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. The Easter Cross of Lights will again be placed above the front door of our Church.  If you wish to purchase a bulb in ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – March 18

Weather – Increasing cloudiness. 40 percent chance of flurries late this afternoon. Wind becoming south 20 km/h this afternoon. High minus 1. Wind chill minus 16 this morning and minus 7 this afternoon. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Wind south 20 km/h. Low minus 4. Wind chill near minus 10. ...

Read More »