Headlines

First positive COVID-19 case in Algoma District

Mar 18, 2020 at 06:21 Late Tuesday, March 17th, 2020, Algoma Public Health confirmed the first positive case of COVID-19 in the Algoma region. A woman in her 50s returned to Algoma on March 15, 2020 from the United States.  She developed respiratory symptoms and notified Algoma Public Health (APH) on March 16, 2020. APH facilitated EMS transportation to Sault Area Hospital ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Person arrested and charged with Uttering Threats

On March 15, 2020, members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute in Wawa. As a result of the investigation, a 34-year-old person, from Wawa, was arrested and charged with the following: Uttering Threats – Cause Death or Bodily Harm, contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC). The accused ...

Read More »

SE OPP Chapleau – Spousal Assault Charges after assault in Chapleau

On March 13, 2020, at approximately 11:00 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute in Chapleau. As a result of the investigation, a 26-year-old person, from Chapleau, was arrested and charged with the following: Assault – Spousal, contrary to section 266 of the Criminal Code (CC). The accused was ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Collision results in Impaired Charges

On March 15, 2020, at approximately 2:55 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to a single motor vehicle collision on Churchill Avenue in Wawa. While speaking with the driver, officers detected the odour of an alcoholic beverage emanating from the driver’s breath. The driver provided a breath sample into an Approved ...

Read More »

From the Branch – March 17

75 years ago at the moment of waiting to see our liberators, more V1 and V2 flying bombs and rockets were fired of into the sky. A lot of them did not make it far and went down on the anxious civilians. Dutch boys and men were picked up in the streets to build defensive trenches and fortifications. I hope everyone is ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – March 17

Weather – Increasing cloudiness. 70 percent chance of flurries changing to 30 percent chance of flurries near noon. Wind becoming west 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning. Temperature falling to minus 8 this morning then rising. Wind chill minus 15 this morning and minus 8 this afternoon. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Partly cloudy. 30 percent chance ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Person arrested and charged with Spousal Assault

On March 14, 2020, members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute in Wawa. As a result of the investigation, a 28-year-old person, from Wawa, was arrested and charged with the following: Assault – Spousal, contrary to section 266 of the Criminal Code (CC). The accused was released and is scheduled ...

Read More »

SZEKELY, Cindy

Cindy passed away peacefully at her home on Saturday, March 14th 2020, at the age of 55 years. Beloved daughter of Huguette Szekely and the late Daniel Szekely. Loving sister to her two brothers Mark (Renée Mellish) and Daniel (Cindy). Much loved aunt to Annik, Daniel, Émilie, and Matthew and her faithful four-legged companion, Skye (“Bobo”). She will be fondly ...

Read More »

Week 9 – Winner of the LDHCF ‘Catch the Ace’ Announced!

  The winner of the ninth week in the Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation’s ‘Chase the Ace’ has been announced. If the Ace of Spades is in the envelope they choose, they would win the progressive jackpot as well as the $515.00 from the weekly draw. Bill McCulloch had the winning ticket. His ticket chose envelope #5 to be opened – ...

Read More »

WFHT – Note to Patients (COVID-19)

Dear Patients of the Wawa Family Health Team, Due to the current and impending COVID-19 pandemic, we will be making temporary changes in the way we deliver your care.  Our goal is to minimize potential exposure to as many people as possible, while freeing up resources to attend to those who require urgent care. Starting immediately: we will no longer be ...

Read More »

Municipality of Wawa COVID-19 Response

Council of the Municipality of Wawa held a Special Council Meeting at 12: 15 p.m. on Monday, March 16, 2020, to discuss the Municipality’s response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Following the advice and information received from district health professionals, regional, provincial and federal agencies, such Algoma Public Health and the Governments of Ontario and Canada, the Municipality will exercise an abundance of caution in an ...

Read More »

Legion Cancels March 17 Celebration

Please be advised that this event is cancelled. We are sorry to have to do this but in the circumstances it is our only option. This afternoon after 2 p.m.  Do – It – Yourself Sandwich kits ( bread, corned beef, swiss cheese) will be available for purchase at the Branch ( delivery available).

Read More »

Food Bank News – March 16

The Wawa Community Food Bank will be open this Wednesday during regular hours, 2pm-4pm.   We have not been able to acquire any hand sanitizer, so ask that all clients wash their hands thoroughly on arrival, and keep a one metre distance from each other as much as possible.  

Read More »

Province Expanding Telehealth Ontario Resources

As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve locally and globally, Ontario is taking further action to ensure the province’s health care system is prepared to continue to protect the health and well-being of Ontarians. Working closely with Telehealth Ontario, the province is rapidly expanding service capacity to ensure timely responses. This is a critical step to help address the increased ...

Read More »