Community

SE OPP Wawa – Theft Charges Laid

SE OPP Wawa

On August 6, 2022 at approximately 6:07 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were notified of a theft from a business on Broadway Avenue in Wawa. Through investigation, Jean-Guy FOURNIER, 66-years-of-age, of Wawa was arrested and charged with the following: Theft Under $5000, contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code (CC).   ...

Read More »

SE OPP Chapleau – Impaired Charges laid after complaint

On August 8, 2022 at approximately 1:32 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were notified of a possible impaired driver on Neebish Road on Brunswick House First Nation, near Chapleau. The vehicle was located and further investigation revealed that the driver was impaired. Terence SAUNDERS, 40 years-of-age, of Chapleau, was charged with the ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Multiple Charges laid after Traffic Stop

SE OPP Wawa

On July 25, 2022 at approximately 3:23 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a traffic stop of a motor vehicle on Mackey Street in Wawa. Investigation revealed that the driver’s licence was suspended. As a result, Bryan SHOREY, 24 years-of-age, of Wawa was arrested and charged with the following: Dangerous operation, contrary ...

Read More »

LDHC’s Emergency Department Staffing shortage

Ontario is experiencing a sustained, system-wide pressure on emergency department staffing levels due to COVID-related absences, staff fatigue and burnout. Emergency Department (ED) staffing pressures are being felt by hospitals across the country and while our ED at the Lady Dunn Heath Centre continues to remain open we have been navigating the pressures as well.   On August 13, 14 ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Arrests made after well-being check

On July 18, 2022, at approximately 8:12 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a well-being check on an individual at a residence on Churchill Avenue in Wawa. The individual was located by police and found to be in distress. Through investigation, three individuals were arrested and charged. Kelvin HENRY, 41 years-of-age, of ...

Read More »

In Memory – William G. Rose

6th February, 1946 – 6th August, 2006   I miss you more than I thought I could And cried much more than I thought I would Time heals all that’s what they say But loves the price and so I pay Sometimes I smile, I know you’re near It’s not enough, you are not here The years roll by I’m ...

Read More »

Councillor Pilon announces run for Mayor

Municipal Councillor Melanie Pilon submitted her nomination for Mayor of the Municipality of Wawa for the upcoming municipal election today, August 5th, 2022. Pilon was appointed to the municipal council on February 1, 2022 and will serve as Deputy-Mayor for September and October. Pilon, whose diverse background has allowed her to develop a skillset in real estate appraisal, telecommunications and ...

Read More »

Happy 49th Anniversary!

A Happy 40th 49th Anniversary to Pam & Roland MacDonald from your sons and friends! P.S. Rolly you can put them back in the will, it was my mistake (Brenda). Have a great day!!

Read More »

Shirley Irene Vacon (Adshade)

On July 3, 2022 at the Lady Dunn Hospital, the angels took our Shirley home.  Mother to Stephen, Gordon (Lily), and Cherie (Roger). Step-Mother to Katherine Denommee.  Nana to Steven, Melanie, Patrick, Matthew, Sofia, Tanner, Brooke, Amanda, Nicole, and David.  Special Mom and friend to Liz Collins. Shirley was a published author who loves nature and beautiful flowers.  Although her heart was always in ...

Read More »

BOURGOUIN, Mme. Monique

Le 29 juillet 2022, à l’âge de 89 ans, Mme Monique Bourgouin (née Pharand) fut accueillie au ciel par son mari bien-aimé Mario. Elle était une maman adorée de ses 6 enfants; Denise (Gabriel) de Macamic, Dominique (Norman) de Nakina, Nicole (Mario) de Val-Caron, Pierre (Danielle) de La Tuque, Louise (Hermyle ) de Dubreuilville et Guy (Manon) de Kapuskasing. Elle ...

Read More »

How did COVID19 affect the economy of Northern Ontario?

The COVID-19 pandemic was a major blow to communities around the world. However, as the latest paper by Lakehead University in partnership with Northern Policy Institute has shown, not all communities’ experiences were the same. The Impact of COVID-19 on the Economy of Northern Ontario dives into those differences, specifically between that of Northern and Southern Ontario from an economic ...

Read More »

How did COVID19 affect the economy of Northern Ontario?

The COVID-19 pandemic was a major blow to communities around the world. However, as the latest paper by Lakehead University in partnership with Northern Policy Institute has shown, not all communities’ experiences were the same. The Impact of COVID-19 on the Economy of Northern Ontario dives into those differences, specifically between that of Northern and Southern Ontario from an economic ...

Read More »

Comment la pandémie COVID19 a-t-elle affecté l’économie du Nord de l’Ontario ?

La pandémie de COVID-19 a porté un dur coup aux communautés du monde entier. Toutefois, comme le montre le dernier document publié par l’Université Lakehead en partenariat avec l’Institut des politiques du Nord, toutes les communautés n’ont pas vécu la même expérience. L’impact du COVID-19 sur l’économie du Nord de l’Ontario examine ces différences, notamment entre le Nord et le ...

Read More »

FAULKNER, Alex

On Saturday, July 16, 2022, Alex Faulkner passed away peacefully in the night at his home after a brief battle with cancer. His strength and love will always be remembered by his wife and soulmate Suzanne, their two son’s Troy and Jamie, as well as his two daughter-in-laws Charity and Krista. His six biological grandchildren Deegan, Dayana, Dyson, Brooklyn, Nathan ...

Read More »