Community

SE OPP Chapleau – Charges laid after domestic dispute

On October 30, 2021, at approximately 8:53 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of a domestic dispute on Planer Road in the Town of Chapleau. As a result of the investigation, a 26-year-old person, from Chapleau, was charged with the following: Criminal Harassment – repeatedly communicate, contrary to section ...

Read More »

SE OPP Chapleau – Chapleau Man charged in break and enter

On November 2, 2021, at approximately 10:42 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a break and enter on Pine Street in the Town of Chapleau. As a result of the investigation, Kyle PAQUETTE, 29 years-of-age, of Chapleau was charged with the following: Break, Enter a dwelling house with intent to commit ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Two Wawa Residents charged in Domestic Dispute

SE OPP Wawa

On November 5, 2021, at approximately 6:13 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of a domestic dispute on Second Avenue in the Town of Wawa. The investigation revealed that two individuals had assaulted one another during a physical altercation. As a result, a 28-years-old person, from Wawa, was charged ...

Read More »

Nov. 8 marks National Aboriginal Veterans Day

Aboriginal Canadians have been part of our proud military history for over 200 years. During the War of 1812, they were vital allies in the protection of Canada, helping protect the citizens of this emerging country from attacks and invasions of Americans. Since then, thousands served bravely in both World Wars and the Korean War. Without their sacrifices, we might not have the Canada we ...

Read More »

Ne deviens pas daltonien tout d’un coup

À l’époque où je n’étais qu’un jeune homme, c’est-à-dire il y a plus longtemps que je ne voudrais l’admettre, je me souviens d’avoir appris l’une de ces « leçons de vie que nous expérimentons tous ». Ce fut une leçon très courte, mais que je n’oublierai jamais. Des années avant d’envisager une carrière en politique, j’ai visité une exposition locale, je me ...

Read More »

Don’t all of a sudden become colorblind

Back when I was just a young man, which is longer ago than I’d like to admit, I remember learning one of those ‘life lessons that all of us experience. It was a very short lesson, but one I will never forget. Years before I ever contemplated a career in politics, I was enjoying a local trade show, walking around ...

Read More »

MMCC Ice Usage – Olympia Repaired!

from fb (Alex Patterson)… We were very lucky today to get parts for our machine quickly – and also lucky to have a great mechanic on staff to help us out. Big thanks to Dan for getting us fixed up and to Dylan and Will for the extra sets of hands to get us back up and running. Here are ...

Read More »

DESGAGNE, Will (Alex)

With broken hearts, we announce the death of our beloved son Will on Thursday, October 28th, 2021 at the age of 24. Will was a kind, open-hearted and extraordinarily generous person. He had a big smile and an even bigger laugh and was always game for some fun and adventure. Will lived his life with curiosity, enthusiasm and gusto. He ...

Read More »

PSA: 7 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 & 3 low-risk public exposures

Algoma Public Health has reported seven (7) new cases­­ of COVID-19 (#557 – #563), all from Sault Ste. Marie and area. In addition, Algoma Public Health has advised the public of three low-risk exposures to COVID-19. From the media release: Potential exposure 1: Public health is advising anyone who attended or worked the Soo Greyhound game on Wednesday, November 3 ...

Read More »

Statement by the Prime Minister on Veterans’ Week

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today issued the following statement on Veterans’ Week, which runs from November 5 to 11, 2021: “Today, as we mark the beginning of Veterans’ Week, we commemorate members of our military and police through this year’s theme, ‘Service, Courage and Sacrifice – At home, around the world and across generations.’ Throughout the week, we honour ...

Read More »

CYR, Alfred “Bi” Joseph

C’est avec regret que nous annonçons le décès d’Alfred “Bi” Joseph Cyr. Alfred est décédé paisiblement au Centre de santé Lady Dunn, Wawa, entouré de sa famille, le mercredi 3 novembre 2021, à l’âge de 79 ans. Fils de feu Patrick Cyr et de feu Yvonne Cyr (née Pelletier). Il laisse dans le deuil son épouse de 47 ans Angeline ...

Read More »

Marathon OPP – Investigate Collision near Rouse Lake

On Thursday November 4, 2021 approximately 01:52 pm, officers of the Marathon/Manitouwadge Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) detachments responded to a report of a motor vehicle collision (MVC), involving a Dodge Caravan and a Tractor Trailer on Highway 17, approximately 20km east of Marathon near Rouse Lake. Officers, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Marathon Fire Department (MFD) arrived on scene to ...

Read More »

TURYK, Steve

1950 – 2021 It is with great sadness that we announce the unexpected passing of Steve on Sunday, October 31, 2021 at the Lady Dunn Health Centre due to an infection resulting from his cancer treatment. Steve is survived by his wife Rose Ann of 51 years, his children Martha and David (Elisa), his grandchildren Makayla, Lachlan, and Mackenzie, and ...

Read More »