Local News

Storm Closures

Black Thunder – We are closed today. Due to the weather and road conditions Sorry for the inconvenience, we will reopen tomorrow at 9am. Thank you. The Walking Program at MHS is cancelled for tonight. The Big Bear closed today because of the weather stay home and stay safe.   Thrift Barn will be closed today for restocking clothes and ...

Read More »

Hwy 17 (Serpent River and Massey) – OPEN

Nov 27, 2019 @ 13:26 – Highway is now open. Nov 27, 2019 @ 11:30 – At 10:30 a.m. today the East Algoma (Blind River) Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is advising the public that Highway 17 is closed from the junction of Highway 17 and Highway 108 to five kilometres west of the Town of Massey in both ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – November 27

New books on the Seven Day Shelf this week are; “The Institute” by Stephen King, “The Dutch House”  by Ann Patchett, “Silent Night” by Danielle Steel and “The Christmas Boutique” by Jennifer Chiaverini.  Also New in the Young Adult Collection is “Capturing the Devil”, book 4 of the “Stalking Jack the Ripper” series by Kerri Maniscalco.  Come on in to the Wawa ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United – November 27

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church (705-856-2926. The Christmas Star of Lights will again light up the front of the Church during the Advent Season. If you would like a bulb in memory of someone ...

Read More »

There will be a test!

In Ontario, at 2:55 p.m. on Wednesday, November 27, 2019, Alert Ready, Canada’s emergency alerting system will be sending out a one test message that will be distributed over television, radio and wireless devices. Please do NOT call 911 or Police, this is a test of the alerting system. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts ...

Read More »

HARP Launches Red Lock Campaign – Locks Available at MMCC

Group Health Centre’s HARP (HIV/AIDS Resource Program) is excited to announce their Red Lock campaign, launching across Algoma Tuesday, November 26th. This year the HARP team is bringing a special campaign to the Algoma region. The Red Lock campaign is a unique twist on the Red Scarf campaign from previous years. HARP invites you to visit one of their Red Lock ...

Read More »

Winter Storm Warning

Winter storm warning in effect for:  Wawa – Pukaskwa Park White River – Dubreuilville Agawa – Lake Superior Park Searchmont – Montreal River Harbour Batchawana Bay Chapleau – Missinaibi Lake Gogama – Foleyet Elliot Lake – Ranger Lake Greater Sudbury and vicinity Kirkland Lake – Englehart Temiskaming Shores – Temagami A winter storm with heavy snow and blowing snow is ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – November 27

Weather – Cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries early this morning. Snow at times heavy beginning this morning. Risk of freezing drizzle early this morning. Blowing snow. Amount 15 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. High minus 4. Wind chill near minus 14. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. Local blowing snow this ...

Read More »

Bus Cancellations

Nov 27, 2019 @ 08:31 – School buses are cancelled in Timmins, Cochrane, Iroquois Falls, Matheson, Kirkland Lake, and the entire South area of the District; which includes Englehart, Kerns, New Liskeard, Haliebury, Cobalt, Elk Lake, and Temagami.   Nov 27, 2019 @ 07:09 Northern Area – including Wawa, White River, Chapleau, Dubreuilville, Hornepayne & areas  Due to the impending weather ...

Read More »

Minister of Education Statement on First Day of Work-to-Rule

Today, Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education, issued the following statement on the first day of work-to-rule action: “I’ve been clear – I want to get deals that keep the children of this province in school. It is regrettable the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO), and the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) have chosen to escalate to work-to-rule action, ...

Read More »

La tradition de la tire de Sainte-Catherine est célébrée à l’école Saint-Joseph

  À l’école Saint-Joseph (Wawa), la tradition de la tire Sainte-Catherine se poursuit.   Hier, le 25 novembre, Mme Carole Bouffard, enseignante, et les élèves du cours d’art dramatique, Kaléya Bélanger, Ella Leadbetter, Morgandy Leadbeater, Cora Nelson et Kelsey Scott ont préparé de la tire pour tous les élèves de l’école élémentaire et de l’école secondaire! Par ce partage, on ...

Read More »

Wawa students celebrate a delicious French-Canada tradition

  The tradition of cooking, pulling and eating taffy on Sainte-Catherine Day is alive and well at École Saint-Joseph (Wawa).   On November 25, Ms. Carole Bouffard, teacher, and students from the drama class, Kaléya Bélanger, Ella Leadbeater, Morgandy Leadbetter, Cora Nelson and Kelsey Scott prepared the delicious St. Catherine’s taffy for all elementary and secondary students. They were able ...

Read More »

Weather Alerts – November 26

Nov 26, 2019 @ 15:32 2:57 PM EST Tuesday 26 November 2019 Winter storm warning in effect for: Wawa – Pukaskwa Park White River – Dubreuilville A winter storm with heavy snow and blowing snow is expected Wednesday. Snow, heavy at times, is expected to develop Wednesday morning and continue into Wednesday evening. Northeasterly winds gusting to 60 to 70 ...

Read More »