Community

From the Branch – September 25

So September is almost gone and 75 years ago the Arnhem Bridge was one too far and had cost a lot of lives. At least some of the British Para’s made it across the Rhine to finish the job 6 months later. Arnhem was now a ghost town and the population was gone mostly West and North. In the South ...

Read More »

2019 Blueberry Fall Fair Door Prize Winner

On Saturday at the 2019 Blueberry Fall Fair, Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation board directors had a booth to promote the Dream Vacation Lottery. Visitors to the booth were invited to enter their name for a free draw for a beautiful fall table runner handcrafted by Lorraine Pihelgas and 2 matching mugs made by Green Cabin Pottery – Cindy ...

Read More »

CF Ontario Announces the 2019 Recipient of the Award for Excellence in Innovation

Community Futures Ontario (CF Ontario) is pleased to announce Northeast Superior Regional Broadband Network (NSRBN) as recipient of the Award for Excellence in Innovation honoured at the 26thAnnual CF Ontario Conference in London, Ontario (this year held in partnership with EconoUs). Northeast Superior Regional Broadband Network (NSRBN), recognizes that access to adequate and affordable broadband is essential to supporting ...

Read More »

National Heritage Day – September 21

National Heritage Day recognizes the importance of Hunting, Trapping and Fishing in the lives of Canadians and its part of our legacy and our cultural heritage. Trapping remains an important part of Ontario. Last year $39 million was spent on trapping in Ontario and the contribution value of hunting, fishing, trapping in Ontario was of $20 billion.  Over 8,000 trappers in ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – September 18

The Wawa Public Library is once again doing our part to raise money for the Alzheimer Society.  During the weeks of September 16th and September 23rd, 2019 all coffee sales will be donated to the Alzheimer Society.  The price for a coffee at the library is $1.00. We will have treats available during this time so feel free to pop ...

Read More »

From the Branch – September 18

The first Membership meeting was very interesting and resident Mary Anne Pearson that the tenders for the Branch lift will close on September 23th. With a bit more paperwork and things could be starting on this access project. Comrade Dick Watson is starting to work on a Christmas Dinner with entertainment. The first early birds have paid their 2020 Dues ...

Read More »

The last thing we need are self-serving elected officials

A while ago I was bemoaning to my former teacher friend how exhausting my schedule has been this summer. But I also realized that travelling and attending meetings and events six days a week is really just a part of the job. My friend said immediately that he understood what I was saying because back when he was a teacher ...

Read More »

Youth Enterprise Camp

For a thirteenth consecutive summer, business-minded youth had their place to shine.  The Youth Enterprise Camp was run in Wawa from August 12th to 16th, 2019 at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre. The camp introduces youth ages 9-13 to the values, attitudes, qualities and skills needed to be successful in today’s economy. High-energy games, activities and workshops challenge every participant ...

Read More »

Camp entreprise jeunesse

Pour un treizième été consécutif, les jeunes qui ont le sens des affaires avaient leur place pour briller. Le camp entreprise jeunesse s’est tenu à Wawa du 12 au 16 août 2019 au Centre communautaire Michipicoten. Le camp présente aux jeunes âgés de 9 à 13 ans les valeurs, les attitudes, les qualités et les compétences nécessaires pour réussir dans ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – September 11

NEW BOOKS on the 7- Day Shelf this week are; “The Huntress” by Kate Quinn, “Summer of ‘69” by Elin Hilderbrand and “Gone Too Long” by Lori Roy. There are some great reads on the 7-Day Shelf! Come on in and check it out!! STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER ARE “Map of the Heart” by Susan Wiggs, “The Rome Affair” ...

Read More »

From the Branch – 73th Airborne Walk in Oosterbeek and Arnhem

Seventy-five years ago, another major event happened when our Canadian soldiers liberated the town of Antwerp and took the harbour which was still mostly undamaged and was planned to be used for supplying the Allied armies. The Allied Command had a big celebration but forgot to invite the Canadians who were already moving North to the Leopold Canal and the Dutch border. ...

Read More »

World Suicide Prevention Day

Suicide is a global social issue, impacting incredible amounts of people and communities throughout the world. Over 4,000 Canadians die by suicide each year, and 800,000 worldwide. That is someone every 40 seconds. It is a devastating reality that countless people are affected by daily. World Suicide Prevention Day is Sept. 10. The theme “Working Together to Prevent Suicide” continues ...

Read More »

Kids ARE returning to schools with fewer resources and less support

For the life of me, I wasn’t able at first why I was hearing people singing or humming and even two or three bopping to the tune of the Happy Days show theme. You know the one with starring Richie Cunningham, the Fonz and all the others from Milwaukee. I mean, it’s not exactly on the TV show ratings radar anymore. ...

Read More »

GoFundMe Launched “Help Keep This Family Together”

Dear Family, Friends and Neighbours, The people of this community have come together time and time again in many difficult circumstances and I am asking for your kindness and generosity to help another one of our Wawa families. Phyllis, Dan and Jessica Dwyer have been fighting the battle against cancer together and it has been a long, difficult road. Phyllis ...

Read More »

Dream Lottery Tickets in the Community

The Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation will be in the community promoting its Annual Dream Vacation Lottery.  Tickets are available at local businesses and hospital admitting. Watch for volunteers selling tickets at the local Post Office on Mondays and Tuesday and Valumart on Thursdays and Fridays. With only 2000 tickets printed your odds for winning are great. By purchasing a ticket ...

Read More »