Community

École Saint-Joseph (Wawa) stands out in Legion poster contest

Several students from École Saint-Joseph in Wawa took part in this year’s poster competition held by the local Legion. With the help of teachers Ms. Josée Gauthier and Ms. Annette Lytwenko, students created posters in colour and in black and white. Of the 18 winners selected by the Legion, 12 of them are École Saint-Joseph students. Here is a list ...

Read More »

Constituency Clinics are Important

As I write this column I find myself concluding another week of constituency clinics covering numerous northern communities in the riding. MPPs are back to the Legislature on Monday. I take pride in being able to say that my face is no stranger to virtually any community in Algoma-Manitoulin. There is no doubt in my mind that constituency clinics play ...

Read More »

Wawa Community Food Bank – March 2019

Wawa Community Food Bank wishes to acknowledge the support of many people over the January to March interval.  We have received financial donations and items as varied as eggs, milk, fruit and vegetables, pet food, knitted winter wear, socks and crocheted crib blankets. Thank you so much to Nancy Donald, Linda Farrington, Lorne Leclair, Lila Peterson, Lorraine Pihelgas, Melanie Pilon, ...

Read More »

From the Branch – March 18

The responses for the request for donations for the Lift for the Legion are starting to come in. Our President Comrade Mary Anne Pearson is hopeful the Campaign will take off as time is short. So, if You want to support the Wawa Branch 429 do it NOW and make accessability to the (Wawa lounge and hall) easier and help ...

Read More »

Legion Appeal Brings Back Memories for Oldtimer John Morrison

The Wawa Legion Branch’s appeal for financial assistance (“Lift for the Legion”) has prompted me to think about my association with the local Legion, commencing when I was in public school and the concrete forms for that building were put in place. My Dad (Neil Morrison) took me to the construction site because they said they had a job for ...

Read More »

Life is a Balance

Like many Ontarians, I often find myself trying to balance my career life with that of being a dad. I can honestly say that while being a politician and a father, both jobs come with some real challenges, but I couldn’t be happier and more proud to have the opportunity to fulfill my duties for each of these roles. I ...

Read More »

Happenings at First United Church – March 6

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. The Annual Meeting of First United Church was held last Sunday, March 3rd. The past year with the help of many people added a ...

Read More »

The first wealth is health

I spend a great deal of time on the road which gives me lots of time to think things over. Just recently I was travelling along the TransCanada heading back from Wawa. The view along the shores of Lake Superior are truly breathtaking. The view made me think of how fortunate we are to live in Algoma-Manitoulin where we readily ...

Read More »

Legion Need help with “Lift for the Legion” Fundraising Campaign!

The Wawa Legion is appealing for help and a tax-free financial contribution to the “Lift for the Legion” fundraising campaign. The Legion must raise $100,000 by March 31, 2019, to proceed with the project or return the federal government grant of $100,000. The Wawa Legion supports all kinds of activities and is one of only two large meeting spaces left ...

Read More »

The Perils of Potholes

An unusually icy winter combined with a series of thaws means potholes are appearing faster and earlier than expected. Appearing as if by magic the dreaded pothole is the nasty surprise that winter leaves behind.   While hitting a pothole can damage tires, wheels, and suspension the damage can be much more severe, including injury and, in some cases, death. Potholes ...

Read More »

Canadian Wolves Released at Isle Royale

During a narrow weather window between storms last week, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (OMNRF) successfully transferred four wolves to Isle Royale National Park. Earlier this winter, severe weather on both sides of the border hampered the ability to capture and transfer wolves. However, NPS staff worked diligently with ONMRF and over the course of four days successfully ...

Read More »

SJFI Bake Sale and Bottle Drive

The St. Joseph French Immersion Grade 6/7 students are having their annual Bake Sale during the Fishing Derby registration on Friday, March 1, 2019 from 1:00pm – 8:00pm.  The students will be selling baked goods, snack and small food items perfect for a long day out on the ice.  They are asking for your support to help fundraise for their ...

Read More »

Happenings From Wawa First United – February 27

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. Thurs.  Feb.    28     World Day of Prayer – 7 p.m. St. Paul’s Anglican Church. The women of Slovenia have prepared the Service. The ...

Read More »

From the Branch – February 27

March was a special time for our Veterans in 1945 as the final push to get across the Rhine was planned. After this was done they made a U-turn to the west and entered Holland from the east. On April 2nd our family was liberated in Warnsveld and a week later Zutphen. In remembrance of our Veterans and the local ...

Read More »

World Day of Prayer 2019 – “Come – Everything is Ready!”

Everything is ready and the invitation is for everyone – men, women and children of all ages to join this Day of Prayer. Women of Slovenia, one of the smallest and youngest countries in Europe, have prepared this year’s service and they encourage us to reflect on the barriers they have faced since the end of the Second World War ...

Read More »