Community

What Makes Canada the best place to live?

How many times has Canada been chosen as the best place to live or placed at least in the top ten best nations to live in the entire world? There have been many surveys based upon responses to a large variety of criteria. Admittedly I didn’t come up with a final answer in my research, but suffice to say we ...

Read More »

A visit with the elderly

On Thursday, March 21, the students in the grade 9 religion class at École secondaire Saint-Joseph (Wawa) went to the Lady Dunn Health Center to visit with the senior residents. Students started by introducing themselves to the residents and both shared personal stories about their life. A second visit is planned for the month of April. A big thank ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – March 27

NEW BOOKS–on the Seven Day Shelf this week are: “Abandoned” by Allison Brennan; “A Serial Killer’s Daughter” by Kerri Rawson; “A lethal Legacy” by Heather Graham and “We Must Be Brave” by Frances Liardet.   STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH ARE:  “Mary Mary” by James Patterson; “The Keeper of Lost Causes” by Jussi Adler-Olsen; “The Girl Who Stopped ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United Church – March 26

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church. Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern, please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. Mon. Apr. 01 U.C.W. at 7 p.m – Our guest speaker is Cathy Cannon who will speak about the Imagination Library. ALL are ...

Read More »

OPP – Late Season Snowmobiling Safety

As the 2019 Snowmobile season winds down, snowmobile operators are encouraged to avoid crossing waterways as ice conditions are unpredictable and slush is prevalent. In addition, before planning a trip be sure to check the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide to ensure your intended route is indicated as being open. Be mindful that private landowners often close gates and become active on their ...

Read More »

Municipal Phones now Working

The technical problems with the telephone system at the Municipal Office located at 40 Broadway Avenue have been resolved and are now functioning. The Municipality of Wawa appreciates your patience. EARLIER (Mar 21, 2019 @ 14:22) – The Municipality of Wawa is currently experiencing technical problems with the telephone system at the Municipal Office located at 40 Broadway Avenue. Bell Canada ...

Read More »

Who would I hire?

Recently I was in the positon of needing to make arrangements for a special retrofit project back home. Knowing such a project would likely take some time to complete and given my work schedule, doing the work myself just wasn’t practical. Besides, I admit that I didn’t really know where to begin, so I needed to hire someone. As I ...

Read More »

Déclaration de député Michael Mantha pour la Journée internationale de la Francophonie

« Vivre dans un pays où il y a deux langues officielles est une raison d’être fier pour plusieurs qui vivent à Algoma-Manitoulin. Cela est constamment démontré par les nombreux individus, familles, communautés, organisations et entreprises francophone et francophile à travers la circonscription, » député Michael Mantha a déclaré. « Pour toutes ces raisons et de nombreuses autres, je veux souhaiter une bonne ...

Read More »

Statement from MPP Michael Mantha on International Francophonie Day

“Living in a country with two official languages is a reason to be proud for many living across Algoma-Manitoulin. This is continuously demonstrated by the many Francophone and Francophile individuals, families, communities, organizations and businesses throughout the riding,” stated MPP Michael Mantha. “For these reasons, and many others, I would like to wish everyone a happy International Francophonie Day; which ...

Read More »

Happening at Wawa First United – March 20

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. Thurs    Mar.  21    Official Board Meeting – 1 p.m. Sat.        Mar.  23   Prayer Shawl Ministry  – 3 p.m. Mon.     Apr.  01    U.C.W.  – ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – March 20

This week’s new books are: “Missing Daughter” by Rick Mofina, “The Uninhabitable Earth” by David Wallace Wells, “The Conspiracy” by Kat Martin, “All the Wrong Places” by Joy Fielding. March Staff Picks –  “The Keeper of Lost Causes” by Jussi Adler Olsen, “The Stranger” by Harlan Coben, “The Girl who Stopped Swimming” by Joshilyn Jackson and this week’s feature is ...

Read More »

Former SE OPP Sergeant becomes Staff Sergeant for East Algoma OPP

Inspector Tyler Sturgeon, Detachment Commander for the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is pleased to announce the addition of Staff Sergeant Rob Walsh to the management team.   Staff Sergeant Walsh joined the OPP in 2007 as a Provincial Constable and was posted to the Huron County Detachment, West Region. In 2017 he was promoted to the rank ...

Read More »

Council Meeting Tonight – March 19

Council will hold a regular Council meeting at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers. All members of the public are invited to attend. Agenda CALL TO ORDER & NOTE MEMBERS PRESENT PRESENTATIONS REVIEW OF ADDENDUM & APPROVAL OF AGENDA Approval of the Agenda ANNOUNCEMENTS, GIVING OF NOTICE AND SCHEDULE OF MEETINGS Library Board Meeting – Monday, March 18, 2019, at 7:00 ...

Read More »