Community

News from the Park – Winter Roads & Drive Test

Those who read this weekly column have little doubt on how much pride I take in being from Northern Ontario. Some may wonder the reason that I love to share such sentiments and emotions. Quite simply, as is frequently the case, we often take for granted some of the things we treasure most until we don’t have them. Being first ...

Read More »

Northern Policy Institute (NPI) is recruiting board members

Northern Policy Institute (NPI) is recruiting board members this fall! Come be part of a team that works for the sustainable economic growth of Northern Ontario communities.   Northern Policy Institute is Northern Ontario’s independent think tank. We perform research, collect and disseminate evidence, and identify policy opportunities to support the growth of sustainable Northern Ontario communities. Our operations are ...

Read More »

Appel pour des membres du conseil d’administration

L’institut des politiques du Nord (IPN) recrute les membres de son conseil d’administration cet automne ! Venez faire partie d’une équipe qui travaille pour la croissance économique durable des communautés du Nord de l’Ontario.   L’institut des politiques du Nord est le groupe de réflexion indépendant du Nord de l’Ontario. Nous effectuons des recherches, recueillons et diffusons des données probantes, ...

Read More »

From the Park – lorsque vous êtes en bonne santé

Jan 27, 2020 at 08:06 – Nous avons tous entendu le dicton: « lorsque vous êtes en bonne santé, vous avez à peu près tout».  Cependant, l’auteur américain Augusten Burroughs n’a ajouté qu’un court addendum à cette déclaration qui, je pense, y apporte une toute autre tournure. Il a écrit: « Quand vous êtes en bonne santé, vous avez à peu ...

Read More »

From the Park – If you have your health

We’ve all heard the saying, “when you have your health, you have just about everything.” Many would successfully argue with the validity of this statement.  However, American author Augusten Burroughs added just a short addendum to that statement that I think puts a whole different twist on it.  He wrote, “When you have your health, you have everything. When you ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – January 23

NEW BOOKS ON THE 7 DAY SHELFthis week are: “The Scholar” by Dervla McTiernan, “Take It Back” by Kia Abdullah, “Finding Chika” by Mitch Albom and “The Dark Side” by Danielle Steel.  Come on into the Wawa Public Library and CHECK IT OUT! NEW MOVIES ON THE SHELF this week are; “Dark Horse” “Viva Riva”, “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” and “The ...

Read More »

SSM OPP Offer Safety Tips to Snowmobilers during Snowmobile Safety Week

As the snowmobile season comes upon us, the Sault Ste. Marie Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) would like to provide some safety reminders for the snowmobile community. Snowmobile safety week runs from January 18 to January 26, 2020.   Before you leave fill up your gas tank check the weather forecast before heading out. contact the local snowmobile club to check trail ...

Read More »

Catch the Ace Week #2 Winner – Christian Lapointe

The second draw of the LDHC Foundation’s Catch the Ace raffle has been made and the lucky winner of $486 is Christian Lapointe. Congratulations! Envelope #18 was opened for Christian and revealed the King of Hearts. The Ace of Spades is still hiding and the Jackpot currently sits at $1365.00 and growing each week.  Make sure to get your ...

Read More »

OPP Investigate 175 deaths in a Decade of Snowmobiling

With Snowmobile Safety Week underway this week, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has released a ten-year data report on snowmobile fatalities, which officers hope will encourage snowmobilers to avoid the recurring behaviours that contributed to the majority of the incidents over the past decade. During the past 10 snowmobile seasons (2009-2019), the OPP has investigated 175 snowmobile fatalities throughout the ...

Read More »

From the Branch – January 22

We are still looking back 75 years ago when our veterans were in the Netherlands after liberating the west coast of France, Belgium and Holland’s southern part and were now in Nijmegen and along the Waal river which was the last point the operation Market Garden got in September. But the Waal Bridge was taken and held. With the Waal river between the ...

Read More »

News from the Park – Joyeux 2020

Maintenant que l’agitation de la saison des fêtes est terminée, je suis heureux de dire que je me sens rafraîchi et impatient de faire face aux nombreux problèmes qui nous touchent tous en tant que résidents du Nord de l’Ontario. Je sais que nous sommes déjà deux semaines dans la nouvelle année, mais je vous souhaite à tous et à ...

Read More »

News from the Park – Happy 2020

Now that the hustle and bustle of the Holiday Season is over, I’m happy to say I feel refreshed and eager to tackle the many issues that affect all of us as Northern Ontarians. I know we are already two weeks into the New Year, but I want to wish everyone all the best in 2020. Over the holidays I ...

Read More »

Catch the Ace Week #1 Winner

The first draw of the LDHC Foundation’s Catch the Ace raffle has been made and the lucky winner of $424 is Paul Bernath. Congratulations! Envelope #22 was opened for Paul and revealed the Jack of Diamonds. The Ace of Spades is still hiding and the Jackpot currently sits at $636.00 and growing each week! Make sure to get your ...

Read More »

Thank You – Wawa Christmas Hamper Fund

The Wawa Christmas Hamper Fund wishes to thank the following businesses, services, donors, schools and volunteers, for their generosity this past Christmas.  Together we helped 125 families and singles with a Christmas dinner and gifts to put under the tree. Your support was very much appreciated. Businesses: Aviation Forest Fire Emergency Services, Bargain Shop, Bodylines by Crack, Broadview Home Inspection, Brookfield Power, Canadian Tire, École Escalade, École ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – January 15

The New Book Shelf is featuring: “A Minute to Midnight” by David Baldacci, “Criss Cross” by James Patterson and “Ask Again, Yes” by Mary Beth Keane. Staff Picks for the month of January are: “The Au Pair” by Emma Rous, “The Affair” by Lee Child, “The City of Girls” by Elizabeth Gilbert and this week’s feature is “I Invited Her In” ...

Read More »