Community

In Memory – William G. Rose

6th February, 1946 – 6th August, 2006   I miss you more than I thought I could And cried much more than I thought I would Time heals all that’s what they say But loves the price and so I pay Sometimes I smile, I know you’re near It’s not enough, you are not here The years roll by I’m ...

Read More »

Councillor Pilon announces run for Mayor

Municipal Councillor Melanie Pilon submitted her nomination for Mayor of the Municipality of Wawa for the upcoming municipal election today, August 5th, 2022. Pilon was appointed to the municipal council on February 1, 2022 and will serve as Deputy-Mayor for September and October. Pilon, whose diverse background has allowed her to develop a skillset in real estate appraisal, telecommunications and ...

Read More »

Happy 49th Anniversary!

A Happy 40th 49th Anniversary to Pam & Roland MacDonald from your sons and friends! P.S. Rolly you can put them back in the will, it was my mistake (Brenda). Have a great day!!

Read More »

Shirley Irene Vacon (Adshade)

On July 3, 2022 at the Lady Dunn Hospital, the angels took our Shirley home.  Mother to Stephen, Gordon (Lily), and Cherie (Roger). Step-Mother to Katherine Denommee.  Nana to Steven, Melanie, Patrick, Matthew, Sofia, Tanner, Brooke, Amanda, Nicole, and David.  Special Mom and friend to Liz Collins. Shirley was a published author who loves nature and beautiful flowers.  Although her heart was always in ...

Read More »

BOURGOUIN, Mme. Monique

Le 29 juillet 2022, à l’âge de 89 ans, Mme Monique Bourgouin (née Pharand) fut accueillie au ciel par son mari bien-aimé Mario. Elle était une maman adorée de ses 6 enfants; Denise (Gabriel) de Macamic, Dominique (Norman) de Nakina, Nicole (Mario) de Val-Caron, Pierre (Danielle) de La Tuque, Louise (Hermyle ) de Dubreuilville et Guy (Manon) de Kapuskasing. Elle ...

Read More »

How did COVID19 affect the economy of Northern Ontario?

The COVID-19 pandemic was a major blow to communities around the world. However, as the latest paper by Lakehead University in partnership with Northern Policy Institute has shown, not all communities’ experiences were the same. The Impact of COVID-19 on the Economy of Northern Ontario dives into those differences, specifically between that of Northern and Southern Ontario from an economic ...

Read More »

How did COVID19 affect the economy of Northern Ontario?

The COVID-19 pandemic was a major blow to communities around the world. However, as the latest paper by Lakehead University in partnership with Northern Policy Institute has shown, not all communities’ experiences were the same. The Impact of COVID-19 on the Economy of Northern Ontario dives into those differences, specifically between that of Northern and Southern Ontario from an economic ...

Read More »

Comment la pandémie COVID19 a-t-elle affecté l’économie du Nord de l’Ontario ?

La pandémie de COVID-19 a porté un dur coup aux communautés du monde entier. Toutefois, comme le montre le dernier document publié par l’Université Lakehead en partenariat avec l’Institut des politiques du Nord, toutes les communautés n’ont pas vécu la même expérience. L’impact du COVID-19 sur l’économie du Nord de l’Ontario examine ces différences, notamment entre le Nord et le ...

Read More »

FAULKNER, Alex

On Saturday, July 16, 2022, Alex Faulkner passed away peacefully in the night at his home after a brief battle with cancer. His strength and love will always be remembered by his wife and soulmate Suzanne, their two son’s Troy and Jamie, as well as his two daughter-in-laws Charity and Krista. His six biological grandchildren Deegan, Dayana, Dyson, Brooklyn, Nathan ...

Read More »

HUMPHRIES, Dennis

Went to meet the Creator on Wednesday, July 20, 2022. He passed away unexpectedly at the Lady Dunn Health Centre in his 66th year. He was the son of the late Edward and the late Mary Humphries, brother of Donnie (Barb Jarvis) and the late Danny (Irene), and uncle to Duncan, Heather, Danny, Jessica, Katie and Jack. Dennis was born ...

Read More »

REIL, Emerson (John Bobbiwash)

Passed away peacefully surrounded by his loving family at the Lady Dunn Health Centre on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at the age of 75 years. Beloved husband of the late Etta Reil. Loving and supportive father of Randy Reil, Danny Reil (Chantal) and John Reil (Sharon). Proud grandfather of Jaycee, Jarret, Kaitlyn (Al), Donovan and Mika. Great grandfather of Lily, ...

Read More »

Le Service de police tribale de Wikwemikong s’allie avec des chercheurs de l’Université de l’EMNO pour offrir de la formation et un programme de services policiers tenant compte des traumatismes

Le Service de police tribale de Wikwemikong et des chercheurs de l’Université de l’EMNO collaborent pour concevoir une approche policière autochtone qui tient compte de la culture et des traumatismes. Cette initiative a reçu une Subvention pour la sécurité communautaire et les services policiers du gouvernement de l’Ontario de 1 120 500 $. L’initiative vise à améliorer la résilience communautaire concernant le ...

Read More »

Wikwemikong Tribal Police partners with NOSM University researchers on trauma-informed policing curriculum and training

Wikwemikong Tribal Police and NOSM University researchers are working together to develop a culturally-based, trauma-informed policing approach for Indigenous police services. This project has received $1,120,500 in funding from the Province of Ontario’s community safety and policing grant. This initiative aims to improve community resilience related to the risk of addictions and human trafficking, train officers to better respond to ...

Read More »

James Webb Space Telescope – Success

It is often said, a picture is worth a thousand words and the first images from the James Webb Space Telescope did not disappoint. During the news conference on July 12, the world had a ringside seat to the most remarkable images of the universe ever taken. Over the hour, five images left us wanting more. This is only ...

Read More »

FONOM concerned with criminal justice system’s practice of “catch and release” in Northern Communities

The Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities (FONOM) is creating a Northern Working Group to focus on the issue of catch and release justice and will be bringing its concerns about the negative impact of the practice to the province during the upcoming Association of Municipalities of Ontario Annual General Meeting and Conference in August. The measures come after the FONOM ...

Read More »