Community

Lake Superior Park Experiences – Monday, August 22

Looking for something to do? Got friends visiting and not sure what to do with them? Visit Lake Superior Provincial Park and not only enjoy the spectacular scenery but learn about this unique area. Agawa Bay Visitor Centre Drop-in: 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM MEET THE NATURALIST: ALIEN INVADERS – They attach to our gear, hide in plain sight, and ...

Read More »

Lake Superior Park Experiences – Friday, August 19

Looking for something to do? Got friends visiting and not sure what to do with them? Visit Lake Superior Provincial Park and not only enjoy the spectacular scenery but learn about this unique area. Amphitheatre, Agawa Bay 10:00 AM SPECIAL EVENT: STORYTELLING WITH BRAD WOODS – Join master storyteller Brad Woods during his Superior Storytelling Tour! He’ll tell myths, legends, ...

Read More »

Ontario Introduces A Plan to Stay Open: Health System Stability and Recovery

trillium

The Ontario government introduced its Plan to Stay Open: Health System Stability and Recovery, a five-point plan to provide the best care possible to patients and residents while ensuring the resources and supports are in place to keep the province and economy open. The plan further bolsters Ontario’s health care workforce, expands innovative models of care and ensures hospital beds ...

Read More »

Lake Superior Park Experiences – Thursday, August 18

Looking for something to do? Got friends visiting and not sure what to do with them? Visit Lake Superior Provincial Park and not only enjoy the spectacular scenery but learn about this unique area. Rocky Point – Agawa Bay 1 p.m. GUIDED HIKE: A COASTAL EXPERIENCE – Lake Superior is a powerful lake with many moods; it can be as ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP – What to know about e-Bikes

Inspector Tyler Sturgeon, East Algoma Detachment Commander, and the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) want to ensure the safety of all motorists on the road, both big and small. Electric bikes and mobility scooters are becoming more popular on our roadways, so here are some rules of the road. E-Bikes To operate an e-bike on Ontario’s public roads, the following ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Theft Charges Laid

SE OPP Wawa

On August 6, 2022 at approximately 6:07 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were notified of a theft from a business on Broadway Avenue in Wawa. Through investigation, Jean-Guy FOURNIER, 66-years-of-age, of Wawa was arrested and charged with the following: Theft Under $5000, contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code (CC).   ...

Read More »

SE OPP Chapleau – Impaired Charges laid after complaint

On August 8, 2022 at approximately 1:32 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were notified of a possible impaired driver on Neebish Road on Brunswick House First Nation, near Chapleau. The vehicle was located and further investigation revealed that the driver was impaired. Terence SAUNDERS, 40 years-of-age, of Chapleau, was charged with the ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Multiple Charges laid after Traffic Stop

SE OPP Wawa

On July 25, 2022 at approximately 3:23 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a traffic stop of a motor vehicle on Mackey Street in Wawa. Investigation revealed that the driver’s licence was suspended. As a result, Bryan SHOREY, 24 years-of-age, of Wawa was arrested and charged with the following: Dangerous operation, contrary ...

Read More »

LDHC’s Emergency Department Staffing shortage

Ontario is experiencing a sustained, system-wide pressure on emergency department staffing levels due to COVID-related absences, staff fatigue and burnout. Emergency Department (ED) staffing pressures are being felt by hospitals across the country and while our ED at the Lady Dunn Heath Centre continues to remain open we have been navigating the pressures as well.   On August 13, 14 ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Arrests made after well-being check

On July 18, 2022, at approximately 8:12 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a well-being check on an individual at a residence on Churchill Avenue in Wawa. The individual was located by police and found to be in distress. Through investigation, three individuals were arrested and charged. Kelvin HENRY, 41 years-of-age, of ...

Read More »

Celebration of Life – Dolly & Mickey Clement

Two lives, so beautiful, deserves a special celebration. You are invited to help us honour the lives of Dolly and Clifford (Mickey) Clement. Leave your sadness at the door, but bring rather your stories, your laughs, and your happiness over a life that was lived to the fullest. The service will take place on August 21, 2022, from  12:00 – ...

Read More »

In Memory – William G. Rose

6th February, 1946 – 6th August, 2006   I miss you more than I thought I could And cried much more than I thought I would Time heals all that’s what they say But loves the price and so I pay Sometimes I smile, I know you’re near It’s not enough, you are not here The years roll by I’m ...

Read More »

Councillor Pilon announces run for Mayor

Municipal Councillor Melanie Pilon submitted her nomination for Mayor of the Municipality of Wawa for the upcoming municipal election today, August 5th, 2022. Pilon was appointed to the municipal council on February 1, 2022 and will serve as Deputy-Mayor for September and October. Pilon, whose diverse background has allowed her to develop a skillset in real estate appraisal, telecommunications and ...

Read More »