Community

In Memory – Janet Firlotte (nee Harron)

August 16th, 1948 – January 2nd, 2014 Although we are sad without you Janet, and wish that you were here. Within our hearts, your lovely smile still shines bright and clear. We miss you dearly – and you know we always will. Rest in peace. Margaret-Pat-Chris

Read More »

Mittens and a Meal – Alzheimer’s Society Fundraiser

Education workers at Sir James Dunn participated in four evening lessons learning how to make fur and hide mittens under the guidance of Robin Marshall Davidson. The local teacher’s union ETFO sponsored the classes, as well as purchased food supplies to make their evening lessons into Mittens and a Meal to help raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Society. Delicious meals ...

Read More »

EA OPP – Arrest made after Domestic Dispute

On December 24, 2022, at approximately 10:20 p.m. the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute at a residence on Dieppe Avenue in Elliot Lake. Police were called by the complainant who stated they feared for their safety because their ex-spouse was at the residence in an intoxicated state and had just kicked in the door. In ...

Read More »

SE OPP – credit card fraud

SE OPP Wawa

Members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) would like merchants to be vigilant for a type of credit card fraud that involves the suspect manipulating a point of sale (POS) terminal. In as little as 10 seconds, the suspect can alter the total amount being charged to a credit card. After the total amount is changed, ...

Read More »

NOWAK, Stefan Michael “Mike”

Passed away at the Sechelt Hospital on Saturday, December 3, 2022 at the age of 64 years. After adventures in N. Ontario, BC and NWT, he spent the last 12 years living the dream in Garden Bay, BC. Survived by his sister Helen (late Bob) and Carol Nowak (Ken Halcro) and nieces Jennifer and Brenda. The family is respecting Stefan’s ...

Read More »

St. Monica’s Catholic Church – Christmas Mass Schedule

St. Monica’s Parish would like to wish all a Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for 2023.   Christmas Eve Mass: Saturday, December 24th at 6:00 p.m. Note: there is only one Mass celebrated on Christmas Eve Christmas Day: Sunday, December 25th at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, December 31 at 7:00 p.m. Sunday, January 1st at 9:00 a.m. Weekday Masses: Tuesday – ...

Read More »

NFTP – the edge of the storm

For most of us, Christmas is one of the most treasured seasons of the year. It is a time steeped in tradition, warmth, and love. Whether you are a child, young at heart, or believe you have sat under more Christmas tree boughs than you’d like to admit, we can still witness incredible wisps of magic that somehow seem to ...

Read More »

NFTP – le bord de la tempête

Pour beaucoup d’entre nous, Noël est l’une des saisons les plus précieuses de l’année. C’est un temps de tradition, de chaleur et d’amour. Que vous soyez un enfant ou un adulte, vous vous êtes probablement assis sous plusieurs d’arbres de Noël. On peut être témoin d’incroyable moment de magie qui semble en quelque sorte s’emmêler dans la réalité. Cependant, au ...

Read More »

FORTIN, Ian Gilbert Henry

(Feb. 19, 1965 – Dec. 15, 2022) Despite the best efforts of doctors, nurses, and health staff at the Health Sciences North- Ramsey Lake Health Centre in Sudbury, Ian passed away suddenly with family at his side. Dear son of Rose Mary and the late Gilbert Fortin. He leaves behind his partner of many years Dianna. Ian was the beloved ...

Read More »

Siemens to build new trainsets for Northlander

trillium

The Ontario government is purchasing three new trainsets as part of its plan to bring back northeastern passenger rail service. The $139.5 million investment marks a significant milestone in reinstating service between Timmins and Toronto, and unlocking the full economic potential of northern industries, resources and minerals. “This is a significant step forward in bringing back the rail service that ...

Read More »

Sebastiano, Constantino “Joe”

Peacefully at London Health Sciences Centre, Victoria Hospital on December 10, 2022, Constantino “Joe” Sebastiano in his 92nd year.  Loving husband of Wladyslawa Halucha for 19 years.  Dear step-father of Les Halucha (Caroline), Henryka Anderson (John), and Jim Halucha (Laura).  Father of Pietro Sebastiano.  Cherished grandfather of 8 grandchildren and several great grandchildren.  Predeceased by his first wife Desolina (1997). ...

Read More »

NFTP – Maître jongleur ?

Je ne me souviens pas de la dernière fois que mon équipe et moi nous sommes mis au travail plus tôt et plus rapidement qu’après cette dernière élection il y a à peine six mois. J’ai l’impression que nous avons travaillé comme jongleurs professionnels pour rester à jour. Mais le vrai talent de jonglerie se trouve dans les maisons des ...

Read More »

NFTP – Master Juggler?

I can’t remember when my team and I hit the ground running sooner and at a faster pace than we have following the election just six months ago. Then, I had loftily envisioned my team and I performing as professional jugglers working to keep Algoma-Manitoulin running. But I quickly brought myself back to earth when I realized that the real ...

Read More »

First Nations Reject Ontario’s Plan to Manage Endangered Caribou Herd

At a time when recognition of First Nations’ importance in ecological stewardship is being increasingly recognized around the world, including at the ongoing COP15 conference on Conservation of Biodiversity in Montreal, Ontario is going in the opposite direction. Two First Nations are calling on Ontario to withdraw a controversial effort to contract out the development of a plan for the ...

Read More »