Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

Morning News – May 23rd

Weather: Clearing early this morning. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 14. UV index 7 or high. Tonight – Clear. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 6. That was quite the storm that went through about 11 last night dumping some needed rain on the bush. Hopefully the lightning doesn’t spark too many fires.   ...

Read More »

1 new confirmed case of COVID-19 (#384)

Algoma Public Health (APH) has reported 1 new case of COVID-19, from Elliot Lake and area.  The individual was tested on May 20th, 2021 and is of exposure category ‘unknown’, and is now self-isolating. Through contact tracing, APH notifies all close contacts directly. If you are not contacted by APH you are not considered a close contact.

Read More »

1 new confirmed case of COVID-19 (#383)

Algoma Public Health (APH) reported Friday, May 21st, 2021 that there was one 1 new case of COVID-19, from Sault Ste. Marie and area. This case is of close contact, and the individual is self-isolating. The individual was tested on May 20th, 2021. Through contact tracing, APH notifies all close contacts directly. If you are not contacted by APH you ...

Read More »

Morning News – May 22nd

Weather: Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of drizzle. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 26. Humidex 33. UV index 7 or high. Tonight – Cloudy. Showers beginning this evening and ending after midnight then 60 percent chance of showers or drizzle overnight. Low plus 1. Fog advisory in effect for: Agawa – Lake Superior Park Wawa – Pukaskwa Park ...

Read More »

Fog Advisory

8:09 AM EDT Saturday 22 May 2021 Fog advisory in effect for: Agawa – Lake Superior Park (ended 22:42) Wawa – Pukaskwa Park (ended 22:42) Marathon – Schreiber Nipigon – Rossport (ended at 12:42) Dense fog today. Dense fog is expected to persist along the shores of Lake Superior until the passage of a cold front this evening. Visibility should ...

Read More »

Transport Fire Closes Highway 17/11 West of Nipigon for several hours today

On Friday May 21, 2021 at approximately 11:20 am, officers of the Nipigon detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of a commercial motor vehicle fire near Golf Course Road west of Nipigon on Highway 11-17. Initial investigation revealed that the trailer of the commercial motor vehicle had caught fire while eastbound on Highway 11-17. The driver ...

Read More »

Municipal Tender Opening – Wawa School Zone Resurfacing Contract

At 3:15 today the two tenders were opened for the Wawa School Zone Resurfacing Contract from: J. Provost Contracting with bid bond in the amount of $200,000.00, a surety bond, and Form to Tender in $5,065,045.46 Pioneer Construction with a bid bond in the amount of $200,000, an agreement to bond, and Addendum 1 Form to Tender in the amount ...

Read More »

Morning News – May 21st

Weather: This morning at 5:20, Environment Canada ended the Fog Advisory “Visibilities have improved & are no longer expected to meet fog advisory criteria.” A Fog advisory in effect from Marathon to Nipigon. Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers or drizzle. Fog patches dissipating this morning. Temperature steady near 17. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy with ...

Read More »

Morning News – May 20th

Weather: Cloudy. 40 percent chance of drizzle changing to 60 percent chance of showers this morning. Fog patches dissipating late this morning. High 22. Humidex 26. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Showers. Fog patches developing near midnight. Low 16.   Status of COVID-19 cases in Algoma Tested (1)  Confirmed cases (2) Active cases Currently hospitalized Resolved cases (3) ...

Read More »

2021 Marina Season – Slip Rentals, Boat Launch Passes & Fees

The 2021 Marina Season has launched at the Harry McCluskie Municipal Marina. The sticker system that was implemented last year continues. First, purchase boat launch passes in order to use the boat launches. The application form is available online on the Municipal website (wawa.cc or click this link for PDF download Boat Launch). If you are renting a slip in ...

Read More »

Morning News – May 19th

Weather: Becoming cloudy this morning with 40 percent chance of showers early this morning. A few showers beginning this morning. Wind becoming south 30 km/h gusting to 50 late this morning. High 19. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy with 30 percent chance of drizzle. Fog patches developing this evening. Wind south 20 km/h becoming light after midnight. ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP – Detachment Report

NEIGHBOR DISPUTE RESULTS IN PROHIBITED DRIVE CHARGE   (PLUMMER ADDITIONAL TOWNSHIP, ON) – On May 15, 2021, shortly after 9:00 a.m., members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a neighbor dispute on Plummer Road in Plummer Additional Township. The investigation determined a neighbor was operating a tractor and had attended the complainant’s property ...

Read More »