Headlines

SE OPP Wawa – Arrest Driver with 1kg of Suspected Cocaine

On September 24, 2019, at approximately 1:26 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were conducting traffic enforcement on Highway 17 near Wawa, Ontario. Officers observed a motor vehicle driving at a high rate of speed and initiated a traffic stop. While speaking with the driver, an odour of cannabis was detected emanating from the ...

Read More »

Borden Mine is now Open!

Yesterday, the official opening of Newmont Goldcorp’s Borden Mine was held. Greg Rickford – Energy, Northern Development and Mines Minister, Timmins MPP Gilles Bisson, Chapleau Cree First Nation Chief Keeter Corston, Chapleau Ojibwe First Nation Chief Anita Stephens, Brunswick House First Nation Chief Cheryl St. Denis, Michipicoten First Nation Chief Pat Tangie, Chapleau Mayor Michael Levesque, Timmins Mayor George Pirie, ...

Read More »

OPSEU and Township of Hornepayne team up to save local LCBO from privatization

The municipal council of Hornepayne, a township north of Wawa, has joined with OPSEU in demanding that the LCBO abandon its irresponsible plan to privatize alcohol sales in the community. “I’m not the least bit surprised the people of Hornepayne are outraged over this terrible scheme,” said OPSEU President Warren (Smokey) Thomas. “Closing the community’s real LCBO and replacing it ...

Read More »

Manitou Gold Provides Exploration Update

Manitou Gold Inc. has issued an exploration update on its 100% owned properties located North of Wawa, Ontario in the Michipicoten Archean Gold Camp. They are reporting that results of up to 79.9 g/t Au from outcrop grab samples were returned from the Renabie-Easy Lake Property; and that targets with highly prospective alteration and mineralization similar to that of the historic ...

Read More »

Heritage Committee Meeting Tonight September 24

There is a Heritage Committee Meeting tonight, Tuesday, September 24, 2019 in the NITGC Board Room, 3 Maple Street at 4:15 P.M. Agenda CALL TO ORDER & NOTE MEMBERS PRESENT REVIEW OF ADDENDUM & APPROVAL OF AGENDA Approval of Agenda ANNOUNCEMENTS / DEPUTATIONS DECLARATION OF PECUNIARY INTEREST AND THE GENERAL NATURE THEREOF APPROVAL OF MINUTES Tuesday, May 28, 2019 Minutes REPORTS OLD ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – September 24

Weather – Clearing. Fog patches dissipating near noon. Wind becoming south 20 km/h gusting to 40 this afternoon. High 19. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Increasing cloudiness. Showers beginning late this evening. Risk of a thunderstorm late this evening and overnight. Local amount 10 to 20 mm. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light late this ...

Read More »

Time to go to the Soo – Pete is performing!

Best to order your tickets immediately – Pete Zedlacher will be performing at Soo Blaster on Friday, November 8th! Premium Comedy and Soo Blaster are proud to present one of Canada’s most sought after comedians Pete Zedlacher performing live Friday, November 8, 9 p.m. at Soo Blaster located at 345 Queen St. E. Pete is a graduate of the prestigious ...

Read More »

CF Ontario Announces the 2019 Recipient of the Award for Excellence in Innovation

  Community Futures Ontario (CF Ontario) is pleased to announce Northeast Superior Regional Broadband Network (NSRBN) as recipient of the Award for Excellence in Innovation honoured at the 26thAnnual CF Ontario Conference in London, Ontario (this year held in partnership with EconoUs). Northeast Superior Regional Broadband Network (NSRBN), recognizes that access to adequate and affordable broadband is essential to supporting ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – September 23

News Tidbits – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. High 16. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers this evening. Fog patches developing overnight. Low 7.   News Tidbits – On September 21st, a group of hikers explored the Awausee trail and celebrated the 100th anniversary of the 1919 Boxcar Trip ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – September 22

Weather – Mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers this morning and early this afternoon. Fog patches. Wind southwest 20 km/h. Temperature steady near 18. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers overnight. Low 11. News Tidbits – It was amazing to watch the live Facebook feed of Let’s Roll team pulling a ...

Read More »

The Ninety-Nines Visit Wawa

  Foggy weather delayed the Ninety-Nines for a day. The aviators in nine aircraft were able to fly into Wawa yesterday. They had hopes of continuing on to Thunder Bay, but only one was able to fly IFR there. Seven remained in Wawa and discussed plans on how to get to Thunder Bay. There were a number of events planned. ...

Read More »

National Heritage Day – September 21

National Heritage Day recognizes the importance of Hunting, Trapping and Fishing in the lives of Canadians and its part of our legacy and our cultural heritage. Trapping remains an important part of Ontario. Last year $39 million was spent on trapping in Ontario and the contribution value of hunting, fishing, trapping in Ontario was of $20 billion.  Over 8,000 trappers in ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – September 21

Weather – Cloudy with 30 percent chance of drizzle. Fog patches dissipating this morning. Wind becoming south 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. High 22. Humidex 27. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers and risk of a thunderstorm. Fog patches developing this evening. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low ...

Read More »

SE OPP White River – Arrest Suspect in Thefts in Southern Ontario

On September 20, 2019, at approximately 12:00 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), Emergency Response Team (ERT) and the Canine Unit attended White River to assist with the arrest of a suspect involved in multiple incidents across southern Ontario. The suspect was located inside a stolen vehicle ...

Read More »

Women Riders World Relay visits Wawa!

    Last night 35 women motorcyclists stopped in Wawa for one of the stops for the Women Riders World Relay, on day 205. The relay began in Scotland in February and has since travelled through Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. The Canadian leg began on September 14th at Trev Deeley Harley Davidson in Vancouver. Each day a small ...

Read More »