Community

No such thing as a guarantee

A short while ago I allowed myself to be influenced by marketing and persuasion and purchased a kitchen appliance that guaranteed the best home cooked meals, requiring only a fraction of the time and effort to prepare, cook and clean up. I knew better than to believe everything they said, but I admit my taste buds and stomach juices got ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Identify Deceased in Fatal Hawk Junction Aircraft collision

On July 11, 2019 at around 9:00 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Wawa Volunteer Fire Department and Algoma Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were called to the scene of a plane crash in the Town of Hawk Junction, Ontario. As a result of the plane crash, Adam HOBBS, a 23-year-old, from New ...

Read More »

9th annual Summer Wine Tasting Event – Great Success!

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, the Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation held its 9th annual Summer Wine Tasting Event at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre.  All funds raised at this evening will help purchase necessary vital medical equipment for the Lady Dunn Health Centre. This year, five featured wines and two craft beers were sampled with accompanying appetizers. Tasters ...

Read More »

Ontario’s “First-ever government of the people”?

As I write this column there are just over 100 days until Canada’s next federal election. In terms of experiencing such a countdown – been there – done that. All signs show this one, as with our own last provincial election, in the words of the late Danny Gallivan (former Hockey Night in Canada play by play commentator), this is ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – July 17

T.D. SUMMER READING CLUB – The Wawa Public Library T.D. Summer Reading Club started July 2nd! We offer Reading Club in English and French, Clay Club, Science Club and Game Club. Different programs for all ages! For more information and to register, visit the circulation desk. NEW BOOKS – Our New Books on the 7-Day Shelf this week are: “Unsolved” by James Patterson ...

Read More »

SE OPP investigate plane crash in Hawk Junction

Jul 12, 2019 @ 12:05 – On July 11, 2019, at around 9:00 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Wawa Volunteer Fire Department and Algoma Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were called to the scene of a plane crash in the Town of Hawk Junction, Ontario. A team from the Transportation Safety Board (TSB) ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – July 10

NEW BOOKS–on the Seven Day Shelf this week are; “The Friends We Keep” by Jane Green, “The Sentence is Death” by Anthony Horowitz and “The Last Act” by Brad Parks.   STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF JULY ARE; “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini, “Beartown” by Fredrik Backma, “The Whistler” by John Grishalm and this weeks feature is How ...

Read More »

Out of the mouth of babes….

Recently I found myself in a local diner for lunch. I try hard to make sure that I avoid fast-food venues. Experience has shown me that while being a patron of such places from time to time is perfectly fine, when you travel as extensively as I do, such behaviour catches up to you quickly. Your overall health deteriorates and ...

Read More »

Where’s the Communal Pride?

There comes a point in your life where you have to admit your limits and step back – and that point has come for us ‘garbologists’. Three out of the four core members will be in our mid 80’s next year. Despite the will, desire and energy level to keep our surroundings clean, our bodies (backs, knees, etc.) tell us otherwise ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – July 3

The Wawa Public Library presents Peter Mennie’s Magic Show. The fun will take place at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre on Thursday, July 11th starting at 7 pm at a cost of $5.00 per ticket. Tickets can be purchased at the Wawa Public Library or at the door. Hope to see you all there! The Wawa Public Library T.D. Summer ...

Read More »

Doug Ford’s Gravy Train Express

It goes without saying that within every society and every culture exist elements that seem to tend to embrace what most understand is unfortunate, in some cases very dark, ideologies and behaviours. It is easy to come up with numerous examples of these. Words such as segregation, bigotry and sectarianism are obvious examples of this. Some of these have lead ...

Read More »

Bumps, Babies & Beyond Expo 2 ~ Wawa Edition!

With such huge success in our inaugural year in Wawa, we are pleased to announce that the Bumps, Babies & Beyond Expo is returning Saturday, September 28th to the Michipicoten Memorial Community Center (curling rink and banquet hall) from 10-3pm.With over forty vendors and service providers last year, and attendees coming from Wawa and surrounding communities (Marathon, Manitouwadge, White River, ...

Read More »

See an Overdose? Call 911. Even if you’ve taken drugs or have some on you, the Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act can protect you.

Opioid overdoses are claiming the lives of thousands of people across Ontario and are steadily increasing. The statistics and numbers related to overdoses do not capture the profound distress being felt by those impacted. Observers may hesitate to call 911 in fear of police involvement. To encourage people to seek life-saving assistance the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is launching the Good ...

Read More »