Community

Algoma Power Inc. to Meet Dubreuilville’s Electricity Needs

Algoma Power Inc. announced today the closing of the transaction to purchase the electricity distribution assets from Dubreuil Lumber Inc. Algoma Power also assumes the permanent role as operator of the electricity distribution system in the Township of Dubreuilville. Algoma Power was appointed the interim operator of the electricity distribution system for the Township of Dubreuilville by the Ontario Energy ...

Read More »

Algoma Power purchases Electricity Distribution Assets from Dubreuil Lumber Inc.

Algoma Power Inc. announced today the closing of the transaction to purchase the electricity distribution assets from Dubreuil Lumber Inc. Algoma Power also assumes the permanent role as operator of the electricity distribution system in the Township of Dubreuilville. Algoma Power was appointed the interim operator of the electricity distribution system for the Township of Dubreuilville by the Ontario Energy ...

Read More »

Brampton Male perishes in Collision south of Wawa

On Monday, August 6, 2019 at 12:44 a.m. members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) with the assistance of the Algoma Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and the Wawa Fire Department responded to a report of a motor vehicle collision on Highway 17 approximately 30 kilometres south of Wawa, Ontario.   The investigation has revealed that ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – August 7

T.D. SUMMER READING CLUB-The Wawa Public Library T.D. Summer Reading Club started July 2nd! We offer Reading Club in English and French, Clay Club, Science Club and Game Club. Different programs for all ages! For more information and to register, visit the circulation desk. NEW BOOKS–Our New Books on the 7-Day Shelf this week are: “The New Girl” by Daniel ...

Read More »

Hollow Guarantees

Most anyone who knows me or reads this column can be certain that I truly appreciate the honour the people of Algoma-Manitoulin have shown in me by re-electing me as the MPP for this riding. As well I freely admit that this is without question the best job I’ve had in my lifetime. There are two main reasons for the ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – July 31

NEW BOOKS –on the Seven Day Shelf this week are; “Paranoid” by Lisa Jackson, “The Oracle” by Clive Cussler and Robin Burcell and “The Last House Guest” by Megan Miranda. STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF JULY ARE; “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini, “Beartown” by Fredrik Backma, “The Whistler” by John Grishalm and this week’s feature is How to ...

Read More »

Statement on World Day Against Trafficking in Persons

Today, Jill Dunlop, Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues, issued the following statement regarding World Day Against Trafficking in Persons: “Today, on World Day Against Trafficking in Persons, I want to draw attention to the unfortunate prevalence of human trafficking across Ontario. I also want to recognize the survivors and stakeholders who are actively working to help raise awareness ...

Read More »

Consider organ and Tissue Donation – Trillium Gift of Life Network

Ask any member of my office team what is the best part of their job and I’ll bet you dollars to doughnuts that they’ll say they love the feeling they get from helping people. The same can be said of other jobs, especially first responders and healthcare workers. There is nothing quite like that feeling you get when you are ...

Read More »

Créez un Logo & vendez vos idées

Au printemps dernier, la SADC Supérieur Est ainsi que l’Initiative Lance-toi en affaires ont à nouveau présenté deuxprogrammes d’entreprenariat intitulés ‘‘Créez un logo’’ et ‘‘Vendez vos idées’’. Ces programmes sont conçus pour lesélèves de la 3e à la 8e année à faire un lien à l’entreprenariat. Le programme Créez un logo invite les élèves de la 3e à la 6e ...

Read More »

Create a Logo & Market your Thoughts

Earlier this spring, the Superior East CFDC in partnership with the Head Start in Business Initiative delivered two youth entrepreneurship programs called “Create a Logo” and “Market Your Thoughts”. The programs are designed for students in grades 3 to 8 to help promote entrepreneurship. The Create a Logo program asks students in grades 3 to 6 to design a logo ...

Read More »

Bunco Returns to the Wawa Goose Seniors’ Centre

The fifth annual Bunco Night fundraiser for the Wawa Goose Seniors’ Centre will be held on Friday, August 16th at 7:00 p.m.  Ladies of all ages are welcome to come and play. There will be a door prize, game prizes, dessert and a raffle. Tickets are only $ 5.00. Come out and enjoy a fun social evening with friends!

Read More »

No such thing as a guarantee

A short while ago I allowed myself to be influenced by marketing and persuasion and purchased a kitchen appliance that guaranteed the best home cooked meals, requiring only a fraction of the time and effort to prepare, cook and clean up. I knew better than to believe everything they said, but I admit my taste buds and stomach juices got ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Identify Deceased in Fatal Hawk Junction Aircraft collision

On July 11, 2019 at around 9:00 a.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Wawa Volunteer Fire Department and Algoma Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were called to the scene of a plane crash in the Town of Hawk Junction, Ontario. As a result of the plane crash, Adam HOBBS, a 23-year-old, from New ...

Read More »