Headlines

Monday Morning News – April 8

Weather: Today – Mainly cloudy. 30% chance of showers early this morning. 40 percent chance of showers late this afternoon. High 13. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy with 60% chance of showers. Low plus 3. News Tidbits: The Ontario government is investing more than $5 million to connect over 16,000 people to primary care teams in Northwestern ...

Read More »

Eclipse Tips To Enhance Safety on Ontario Roads and Waterways

With the possible migration of people heading out on roads and waterways on April 8, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging residents and tourists to make road and boat safety a top priority when travelling to take part in solar eclipse events. Drivers travelling to attend solar eclipse events should be prepared for delays in getting to and from ...

Read More »

Ontario Rewards SSM with $600,000 for Exceeding 2023 Housing Target

trillium

Rob Flack, Associate Minister of Housing, announced Ontario will be providing Sault Ste. Marie with $600,000 in funding through the Building Faster Fund as the city exceeded its 2023 housing target, breaking ground on a total of 213 new housing units last year. “Our government is making historic investments in infrastructure to give municipalities the tools they need to ensure ...

Read More »

Carol Hughes Announces She Will Not Seek Re-Election

“It has been an exceptional honour representing the people of Algoma-ManitoulinKapuskasing for the past 16 years,” said Hughes. “I got into politics to try and make a positive difference in people’s lives. I’ve always attempted to take a pragmatic approach to this job and reach across party lines to get things done, but I and my NDP colleagues never wavered ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – April 6

Weather: Today – Sunny. Wind becoming north 20 km/h gusting to 40 this morning. High 9. Wind chill -7 this morning. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Clear. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low -5. Wind chill -9 overnight. News Tidbits: Congratulations to Larry Carruthers of Elliot Lake who was struck by the LIGHTNING LOTTO jackpot on March 3, ...

Read More »

Wawa Men’s Curling 2023-2024

There were (8) Teams in the Men’s League this season.  Special thank you to the Michael Reid’s Team for joining our League. The regular season ended with a close final game with Team Tom Terris overcoming the Mark Leschishin Team. Then the teams entered the Playoff Finals. The Regular Season Winners are not guaranteed top spot in the Playoffs, and ...

Read More »

OPP – Drivers continue to chose fines over buckling up

It was a busy Easter long weekend for the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) as they conducted a province-wide seatbelt campaign and worked hard to keep people safe on roads. Over the four-day campaign, the OPP laid close to 1,200 seatbelt charges against drivers and passengers who chose to receive fines (and demerit points for drivers), rather than take a few ...

Read More »

Alamos and Argonaut Close Previously Announced Private Placement

Alamos Gold Inc. announced the closing of their previously announced non-brokered private placement, pursuant to which Alamos subscribed for 174,825,175 common shares of Argonaut (the “Acquired Shares”), representing approximately 13.8% of Argonaut’s total outstanding common shares (the “Common Shares”) after giving effect to the Private Placement. The Acquired Shares were acquired at a price of C$0.286 per share, for total ...

Read More »

Ontario Working in Partnership with Northern First Nations to End Reliance on Diesel Fuel

The Ontario government is working in partnership with Webequie, Nibinamik, Neskantaga, Eabametoong and Marten Falls First Nations to expand clean and reliable electricity transmission and generation infrastructure to end these communities’ reliance on diesel powered generators and support greater economic self-determination and prosperity. “We’re partnering with First Nations and northern Ontario communities to build the energy infrastructure they need to ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – April 5th

Weather: Today – Mainly sunny. Wind becoming north 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High +5. Wind chill -7 this morning. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Clearing this evening. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low -3. Wind chill -7 overnight. News Tidbits: SSM PUC Services Inc. (PUC) has been recognized as ...

Read More »

Thank You

The Wawa Ladies Curling League would like to thank the following individuals and businesses who contributed to the success of our 69th Annual Wawa Ladies Curling Bonspiel which was held on March 22–24, 2024: Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre staff, Northern Lights Ford, North of 17 Restaurant, Judy Page Moore-Catering, Olive Branch Floral Design, Kerry Funeral Home, Mission Motors, Red Pine Exploration, ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – April 4th

Weather: Today – Periods of light snow ending this morning then cloudy with 60% chance of flurries late this morning and early this afternoon then 60% chance of rain showers or flurries this afternoon. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. High +4. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 60% chance of flurries. Wind northeast 20 ...

Read More »

Hwy 144 (Gogama – Timmins) OPEN

Apr 4, 2024 at 07:02 At 5:36 a.m. Highway 144 was reopened. Apr 3, 2024 at 21:05 Highway 144 remains closed at this time. Apr 3, 2024 at 12:30 Weather conditions and several CMV’s stuck on Hwy 144 has closed the highway between Gogama and Timmins. The highway closed at 12:30 p.m.  

Read More »

Hwy 101 (Wawa to Timmins)

Apr 4, 2024 at 07:01 At 1:44 a.m. ON511 updated that the highway was open. Apr 3, 2024 at 22:55 The barricade blocking access to Hwy 101 at Wawa has been removed. ON511 is still showing Hwy 101 closed from Wawa to Timmins. Apr 3, 2024 at 21:04 Highway 144 remains closed at this time. Apr 3, 2024 at 07:34 ...

Read More »