Headlines

Nipigon OPP – Proactive Traffic Stop results in Impaired Driving Charge

On April 23, 2024, members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Nipigon Detachment conducted a proactive traffic stop resulting in one person being arrested and criminally charged with impaired operation and driving while under suspension. At approximately 4:00 p.m., members of the Nipigon OPP Detachment were on general patrol in the Town of Nipigon in the area of Greenmantle Drive. ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – April 24

Weather: Today – Sunny. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming light late this morning. High p+4. Wind chill -19 this morning. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Clear. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low -10. Wind chill -13 overnight. News Tidbits: Today is Ontario Autism Coalition Lobby Day at Queen’s Park. The Ontario Autism Coalition (OAC) returns to Queen’s Park ...

Read More »

Winter weather travel advisory – ENDED

Apr 23, 2024 at 22:17 This weather advisory ended at 19:09. Apr 23, 2024 at 06:03 At 5:24 am Environment Canada issued a winter weather travel advisory stating that a cold front will move south through the area today. Rain falling ahead of the front will change to snow, heavy at times, in the wake of the cold front this ...

Read More »

Terrace Bay OPP – Driver charged with Perform Stunt (100 in a 60km/h Zone)

An individual is facing stunt driving charges after travelling at excessive speeds. On April 21, 2024, just before 2:30 p.m., members with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Highway Safety Division were conducting speed enforcement on Highway 17 east of Mill Road in the Township of Terrace Bay. Officers observed a motor vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed, approximately ...

Read More »

SSM OPP – Investigate Fatal ATV Collision

On April 22, 2024, shortly before 4:00 p.m., the Sault Ste. Marie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a serious, single All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) collision on Red Rock Road in Sault Ste. Marie. The driver of the ATV, a 34-year-old person from Sault Ste. Marie, was pronounced deceased at the scene. The investigation is ongoing, with assistance ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – April 23rd

Weather: Winter Weather Travel Advisory Today – Periods of rain changing to periods of snow this morning and ending late this afternoon then cloudy. Local snowfall amount 5 cm. Wind becoming northeast 40 km/h gusting to 70 late this morning. High +5. Wind chill -11 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Clearing this evening. Wind northeast 40 ...

Read More »

Manitouwadge OPP – Your help in the illegal burning of slash piles

The Manitouwadge Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is seeking public assistance in relation to the illegal burning of slash piles. On April 18, 2024, just after 2:00 p.m., members of the Manitouwadge OPP Detachment were conducting general patrol in the area of Twist Lake Road in Manitouwadge when they observed two large slash piles burning. The OPP is ...

Read More »

Premier Ford can fix issues facing Ontario if he has the political will

For most Ontarians, the concept of federalism is something that seldom crosses our minds. Students in school might engage with the concept during their social studies or civics lessons. Someone with an interest in current events might come across references to the interaction of different levels of government when reading the news. Most often, I’d wager, we hear about federalism ...

Read More »

Le premier ministre Ford peut régler les problèmes auxquels l’Ontario est confronté s’il en a la volonté politique

Pour la plupart des Ontariens, le concept de fédéralisme nous traverse rarement l’esprit. Les élèves à l’école peuvent s’engager avec le concept au cours de leurs études sociales ou des leçons d’éducation civique. Une personne qui s’intéresse à l’actualité peut rencontrer des références à l’interaction des différents ordres de gouvernement lors de la lecture des nouvelles. Le plus souvent, je ...

Read More »

Between The Covers – April 22nd

The Wawa Public Library celebrates it’s 70th Anniversary in May! The Wawa Public Library, then known as The Michipicoten Public Library opened its doors in May of 1954 in the basement of Sir James Dunn School. Mrs. Ruth Eldridge was appointed as the library’s first Librarian. The Library soon outgrew the space in the school and a place in the ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – April 22nd

Weather: Today – Mainly cloudy with 30% chance of flurries early this morning. Clearing this morning. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning then light late this afternoon. High 10. Wind chill -7 this morning. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – Increasing cloudiness. Periods of rain beginning after midnight. Low +4. News Tidbits: As of June ...

Read More »

Spring is here? No Ice on Wawa Lake

It is the shortest time in Wawa-news records that Wawa Lake was frozen over… 105 Days. Hopefully temperatures will continue to warm up and spring will really be here.   YEAR OPEN FROZEN 2024 April 18 Shortest Freeze 2023  May 10 January (2024) 4 Green Christmas 2022  May 13 December 19 2021  April 16 Earliest OPEN December 22 2020  May ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP – Traffic Stop results in Impaired Charges

A Wahnapitae driver was stopped for a traffic violation which resulted in an arrest for impaired driving in Elliot Lake.   On April 19, 2024, at approximately 12:45 a.m. the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) was conducting general traffic patrol duties on Mississauga Avenue. A construction company grey pick-up truck was stopped for a traffic infraction when police detected ...

Read More »

OPP – Use Caution when accessing online casino gaming sites

The Ontario Provincial Police, Investigations and Enforcement Bureau (IEB), in partnership with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), is reminding the public to use caution when choosing to access online casino gaming sites found through social media advertisements. On April 11, 2024, the OPP’s Investigation and Enforcement Bureau was notified of a suspected fraudulent gaming advertisement depicting an ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – April 20th

Weather: Today – Cloudy. 40% chance of flurries this morning and early this afternoon. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this afternoon. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. High plus 2. Tonight – A few clouds. Increasing cloudiness after midnight then 60% chance of flurries before morning. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light late this ...

Read More »