Headlines

Winter is coming – are you ready for winter driving?

Nov 9, 2017 @ 10:28 The OPP is reminding motorists to take their time to prepare themselves and their vehicles for safe winter driving as we head into the winter months.   Tips to remember: Have an ice scraper or snow brush to ensure all windows and lights are clear prior to leaving Install proper winter tires to provide better ...

Read More »

Richmont Continues Record Gold Production for 2017

Nov 9, 2017 @ 10:07 Richmont Mines has announced their operating and financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2017.  With record production of gold 26,659 ounces of gold (22,666 ounces sold) for the quarter they are postioned to see the mine exceed the high end of annual production guidance of between 87,000 and 93,000 ounces. The mill expansion ...

Read More »

Heart & Stroke – Women and Heart Disease

Nov 9, 2017 @ 09:36 Dan Ingram of the Heart & Stroke Foundation SSM was in Wawa Tuesday evening to speak about Women and Heart Disease at a presentation at the Gilmartin Funeral Home. The Heart & Stroke Foundation recognizes that women are living longer, but also face heart disease and stroke. Contary to public belief that breast cancer is ...

Read More »

Scammers – Be Aware of how they work

Nov 9, 2017 @ 08:19 Every year, Canadians of every age, gender, and socio-economic levels give away millions of dollars to ‘scammers’ – criminals who falsely represent themselves and ‘talk’ people into giving them money.  This is done in person (door to door), through the mail, by telephone, and increasingly through the internet. They prey on us through our vulnerabilities, ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – November 9

Nov 9, 2017 @ 08:14 Weather – Periods of light snow ending this morning then mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Wind becoming north 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. Temperature falling to minus 10 this afternoon. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries this evening. Clearing overnight. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to ...

Read More »

Special Council Meeting at Noon

Nov 9, 2017 @ 08:07 Please note that a Special Council Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:00 pm in the Council Chambers. Receive Staff Report CS 2017-14: GHG Funding Application (resolution) Accept Staff Recommendation and Approve Submission of Funding Application (3 resolutions) Declare Council Seat Vacant under Section 259(1)(c) of the Municipal Act (resolution)

Read More »

Gens de Wawa, manifestez votre appui!

Nov 9, 2017 @ 08:05 Lumière sur la violence faite aux femmes est une campagne de sensibilisation qui a vu le jour à London, en Ontario. Novembre est le mois de la prévention de la violence faite aux femmes en Ontario. Cette année, le Comité contre la violence faite aux femmes de Wawa participe à la campagne visant à braquer ...

Read More »

Hey Wawa! Show your support!

Nov 9, 2017 @ 08:05 Shine the Light on Woman Abuse is a public awareness campaign which originated in London, Ontario. November is Woman Abuse Prevention Month in Ontario, and this year Wawa’s Committee on Woman Abuse is participating in the campaign to Shine the Light on Woman Abuse.   The goals of the Shine the Light on Woman Abuse campaign ...

Read More »

The potential loss of Huron Central Railway (HCR)

Nov 8, 2017 @ 12:36 Whether you know me or just read what I say and do as MPP for the Algoma-Manitoulin, the pride I have having been born and raised as a Northerner is pretty evident. I was born in and raised Gogama and raised my own family in Gogama, Wawa, and Elliot Lake. While Algoma-Manitoulin is by no ...

Read More »

Hawk Junction Remembers – Remembrance Day 2017

Nov 8, 2017 @ 09:42   On Sunday, November 5th, 2017 Hawk Junction held their Remembrance Day Ceremony. A small crowd gathered to watch the parade, prayers led by Chaplain Lorna Chipkua, and laying of wreaths at the Pine Grove Ceremony. Billy Valois read the Honour Roll of Hawk Junction residents World War I Bill Atkinson, Art Duncan, Fred Jones, ...

Read More »

Superior East OPP White River – Arrest Woman after Assaulting Man

Nov 8, 2017 @ 10:23 On Sunday November 5, 2017, at approximately 6:00 pm members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Superior East (White River) Detachment responded to a local White River address regarding an altercation. At the scene investigation revealed that a female had assaulted a male. As a result a 52 years old Pic Mobert, Ontario female was ...

Read More »

SE OPP Wawa – Wawa Man Arrested in Threatening Incident

Nov 8, 2017 @ 09:33 On Wednesday, November 1, 2017, at approximately 3:45 pm members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Superior East Wawa Detachment responded to a local Wawa address regarding a threatening incident. At the scene, investigation revealed that the male in question had threatened two other persons. As a result, a 41-year-old Wawa, Ontario male was arrested ...

Read More »

Happenings at First United Church – November 8

Nov 8, 2017 @ 08:23 The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926 CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 -3 p.m. Roberta requests that an appointment be made. Please call 705-856-2926 & ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – November 8

Nov 8, 2017 @ 08:03 Weather – Flurries. Temperature steady near minus 1. Tonight is will snow. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Low minus 12. Roads Last updated: 2017-11-08 – early morning report 101 Shawmere River to Highway 651 bare and dry road with bare and wet road sections. 2017-11-08 3:58 101 Highway 651 to Wawa bare and dry road with ...

Read More »

Snow Squalls possible for Wawa Tomorrow

Environment Canada has issued a Special weather statement for Wawa, Pukaskwa Park, White River, and Dubreuilville. A cold front may bring snow squalls beginning early Wednesday morning with snowfall accumulations of up to 10 centimetres along Lake Superior, and lesser amounts inland. Snow squalls may cause poor visibility. Snow will lessen and come to an end Wednesday evening however, another low-pressure system will ...

Read More »