Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

Hwy 17 – Open (Wawa to Alona Bay) – may be traffic delays

Sep 9, 2019 @ 07:22 – Wawa News has confirmed with the OPP Communications Centre in North Bay that there may be some minor traffic delays today where the cattle truck caught fire yesterday as the transport is removed today. One lane is expected to remain open, allowing for alternating flow of traffic through that area. Be aware of traffic ...

Read More »

Frost Advisory

Environment Canada is warning that a frost advisory is in effect in an area stretching from Pukaskwa Park to Lake Superior Park, and areas as shown in the map to the right. Temperatures are expected to fall to near zero degrees tonight into Monday morning. One should cover up tender plants as the frost may damage them.

Read More »

GoFundMe Launched “Help Keep This Family Together”

Dear Family, Friends and Neighbours, The people of this community have come together time and time again in many difficult circumstances and I am asking for your kindness and generosity to help another one of our Wawa families. Phyllis, Dan and Jessica Dwyer have been fighting the battle against cancer together and it has been a long, difficult road. Phyllis ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – September 7

Weather – Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Fog patches dissipating this morning. Wind becoming north 20 km/h near noon. High 15. UV index 4 or moderate. Tonight – partly cloudy. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low plus 4. News Tidbits- Don’t forget the Corn Roast in Hawk today.

Read More »

Registration Night a Success!

  Last night the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre hosted the annual Fall Registration Night. Local activity clubs such as Wawa Minor Hockey Association, Defined Movement Dance, Karate, Bowling, and the Wawa Figure Skating Club were present. Also was a display featuring information on free senior’s activities such as Tai Chi, Chair Based Fit, Indoor Walking, Balance, Stretch and Strength was ...

Read More »

Mantha Fights against ADSAB Restructuring and Cuts

The Ford Government is continuing its cuts to health care funding and social services (a list of these cuts can be read here). Mike Mantha, our MPP is going to bat to try and stop the restructuring of the Algoma District School Board. Recently, Wawa, White River, Dubreuilville and Hornepayne learned about proposed cuts to the ambulance service. These cuts ...

Read More »

Do you know your AT/UTV Regulations?

The Fall Hunting Season is upon us. As part of the fall hunting ritual, hunters make good use of ATV’s and UTV’s. The OPP explain, “In 2015, the provincial government legalized “Side by Sides” (SxS) and 2-up ATV’s. That goes for all 2-ups (from the manufacturer), all UTV’s and SxS’s. While it’s still up to the local municipality to decide, the Ontario ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – September 6

Weather – Showers ending this morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 16. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 10. News Tidbits – The movie Brotherhood one of the movies being played is 31st edition of the Cinéfest Sudbury International Film ...

Read More »

Drivers can carry electronic proof of Auto Insurance

Changes by the Ontario Government now allows for drivers to carry electronic proof of auto insurance on their mobile device. “Our Government has committed to making life easier for Ontario people,” said Finance Minister Rod Phillips. “That is why this government is making auto insurance more convenient by giving drivers the option of showing their proof of auto insurance electronically, ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – September 4

Weather – Clearing early this morning. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h near noon. High 15. UV index 7 or high. Tonight – A few clouds. Wind southwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low 6.

Read More »

Corporate Planning & Council Meetings – Tuesday, September 3

Council is holding a Corporate Planning Meeting and a Regular Council Meeting tonight in Council Chambers tonight at 6:30 p.m. Although all meetings are open to the public – tonight everyone who uses the ice in Wawa should be attending this meeting. Beginning the meeting will be a presentation to a Wawa volunteer firefighter for 20 years of service. The ...

Read More »

Terry Fox Run – September 15

The Terry Fox Run in [insert community name] is days away, and participants are gearing up to raise money for cancer research and help keep Terry Fox’s dream alive. Terry Fox’s Marathon of Hope might have ended in 1980 but the spark he lit in the hearts and minds of Canadians ignited into a campaign of hope that has lasted ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – September 3

Weather – cloudy. Showers beginning early this morning. Risk of a thunderstorm this afternoon. Amount 15 to 25 mm. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. High 13. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Showers ending this evening then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm early this evening. Wind north ...

Read More »

Rock Island Lodge House Concert & Dinner with Mary Fraser

  Mary trained in classical violin for the first decade and a half of her life, but has now moved into traditional music, she’s travelled to many places with rich fiddle traditions, immersing in the tunes and styles of Ireland, Scotland, Appalachia and New England.  Mary says “I love the fun of ragtime tunes and sappy waltzes from the 20s, as well as haunting ...

Read More »