The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is hosting two anti-human trafficking conferences that will walk attendees down the road travelled from identifying victims of both sex and labour trafficking, to providing wrap-around victim-centred service to support them through to recovery, and enforcement efforts targeting traffickers.
One conference will be in Barrie, Ontario September 11-12, 2017, and the second will be in Kenora, Ontario September 20-21, 2017.
These invitation-only conferences are for those who work with and support victims of human trafficking including law enforcement, legal community, victim services, community support services, and others.
“People from communities across Ontario are being lured, groomed and manipulated into becoming involved in the sex trade. They are often transported from one location to another to keep them isolated from anyone who can help them,” said Inspector Tina Chalk, of the OPP’s Anti-Human Trafficking Investigation Coordination Team.
“Our goal is to provide a wrap-around approach to victim support and work collaboratively with all of our policing partners, the legal community, victim services and advocacy,” said Clark.
The keynote speaker at both events is Dr. Jacqui Linder, an internationally recognized expert on the psychological profiling of survivors of human trafficking. She will help participants better understand the psychological impact of chronic abuse and maltreatment. Dr. Linder will also discuss the neurobiology of PTSD, dissociation and other common trauma-related disorders.
Other sessions include:
- Stories of survivors of sex and labour trafficking
- Providing services and support for victims
- Navigating the court process
- Labour trafficking enforcement case studies
- Prevention initiatives to protect youth
The conferences are funded through the Civil Remedies Grant Program.
Latest posts by Ontario Provincial Police (see all)
- Hunting Begins – Remember Hunter Safety! - September 15, 2017
- Results of OPP Distracted Driving Campaign over Labour Day Long Weekend - September 8, 2017
- OPP to host Two Anti-Human Trafficking Conferences - September 8, 2017