Headlines

What Happened at Council – February 13

Feb 14, 2018 @ 08:30 At last night’s council meeting, Mayor Ron Rody reminded residents of the upcoming Senior’s Luncheon. Participants are being asked to pay $2 to attend, with those monies being donated to the Wawa Royal Canadian Legion Lift Campaign. Mayor Rody also encouraged everyone to come out and enjoy the 2018 Wawa Winter Carnival. Council accepted the ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United – February 14

Feb 14, 2018 @ 08:09 The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church. Services are held on Sunday at 11 a.m.  If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 – 3 p.m. Roberta requests that an appointment be made.  Please call ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – February 14

Weather Today Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries this morning. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50. High minus 1. Tonight Cloudy. Snow beginning after midnight. Amount 2 cm. Low minus 6.   Roads 2018-02-14 – early morning report 101 Timmins to Highway 144 bare and dry road with bare and wet road sections. 2018-02-14 2:29 101 Highway 144 ...

Read More »

February 21st Terrace Bay Presentation: Lake Superior Caribou

Feb 13, 2018 @ 17:10 Michipicoten Island Caribou have made headlines recently on Minnesota Public Radio, Sault online, CBC’s “As it Happens” and the New York Times, among others. Predation by wolves, who were able to reach the island due to ice cover on Lake Superior in 2014, resulted in relocation of the Michipicoten Island Caribou to the Slate Islands. The ...

Read More »

Wawa to join Tourism Ireland’s Global Greening 2018

Feb 13, 2018 @ 14:58 Tourism Ireland today announced details of some of the famous attractions and sites around the world which will go green to mark St Patrick’s Day this year, continuing the organization’s first-half promotional drive to grow overseas tourism in 2018. The annual initiative, which sees a host of major landmarks around the world turn green for ...

Read More »

Measuring Indigenous Education Outcomes Key to Progress

Feb 13, 2018 @ 10:03 Collection of data on academic outcomes among Indigenous students is a necessary step towards bridging the education gap between Indigenous and non-indigenous students, according to a new report from the C.D. Howe Institute. In “Measuring Student Outcomes: The Case for Identifying Indigenous Students in Canada’s PISA Sample,” authors John Richards and Parisa Mahboubi encourage provinces ...

Read More »

Wawa Men’s Curling Standings – February 13

Feb 13, 2018 @ 08:31 Team Rank Wins GP TERRIS, Tom 1 10 12 LESCHISHIN, Mark 2 9 12 McCOY, Joe 3 7 12 HOFFMANN, Jim 4 6 13 ECOLE ST. JOSEPH 5 5 13 MOORE, Bruce 5 5 13 YOUNG, Paul 5 5 13 DERESKI, Louis 8 3 12 GAMES SCHEDULE – February 21, 2018 WEDNESDAY Ice 1 Ice ...

Read More »

Council Meeting Tonight – February 13, 2018

There is a regular council meeting tonight in Council Chambers at 6 p.m. The following items may be of interest the residents of Wawa.   Consent Agenda 6.2 Approval of Minutes (resolution) (a) Special Council Meeting – Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (b) Regular Council Meeting – Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6.3 Receive Committee / Board Minutes (a) Heritage Committee Meeting ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – February 13

Feb 13, 2018 @ 07:57 Weather Today Becoming cloudy this morning with a few flurries. Local amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High minus 7. Tonight Flurries. Local amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50. Temperature steady near minus 7.   Roads 2018-02-13 – early morning ...

Read More »

FAO confirms – Hydro One sell-off robs billions from services that matter most

Feb 12, 2018 @ 15:52 A new report on the sale of Hydro One by the Financial Accountability Office of Ontario (FAO), Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath issued the following statement:   “Today’s report by the FAO is a damning indictment of the privatization schemes rammed through by successive Conservative and Liberal governments. The sale of Hydro One will cost ...

Read More »

Winter Road Maintenance & Carillion

Feb 12, 2018 @ 08:18 Like many Northerners, I’m definitely a 4-season person. That is to say, I love something about each of our seasons. In fact, this is one of the best things about Algoma-Manitoulin. Winter, spring, summer, and fall, with our hills, forests, lakes and rivers there is a plethora of things to do for outdoor enthusiasts. And for ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – February 12

Feb 12, 2018 @ 07:48 Weather Today Sunny. Wind becoming west 20 km/h near noon. High minus 14. Wind chill minus 27 this morning. Tonight Increasing cloudiness early this evening. 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind west 20 km/h. Low minus 17. Wind chill minus 27.   Roads 2018-02-12 – early morning report 101 Timmins to Highway 144 snow covered ...

Read More »

Steel Town Down: Overdose Crisis In The Soo – Tonight on W5

Feb 10, 2018 @ 11:15 W5 will be broadcasting their Steel Town Down: Overdose Crisis In The Soo tonight at 7 p.m. W5 and VICE Canada announced today broadcast details for the first documentary of their new partnership, STEEL TOWN DOWN: OVERDOSE CRISIS IN THE SOO, focusing on the impact of Canada’s opioid crisis as it spreads beyond major cities. The ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – February 10

Feb 10, 2018 @ 10:53 Weather Today A few flurries ending this morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. High minus 10. Tonight Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. A few flurries beginning after midnight. Local amount 2 cm. Low minus 17. News Tidbits W5 is airing their documentary about the Opioid Crisis ...

Read More »