Headlines

Wawa Walks Day 7 – North Algoma Wellness Challenge

  Today is the seventh day of the North Algoma Wellness Challenge. Some of yesterday’s submissions are in the gallery above. The creativity that abounds in Wawa is amazing! The winner from yesterday has not yet been announced (8:55 a.m.) Today’s challenge is to enjoy a Sports Day! To participate in the North Algoma Wellness Challenge follow the steps below. Accept ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – May 3

Weather – Cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Fog patches dissipating early this morning. Wind becoming west 20 km/h this morning then becoming north 20 gusting to 40. Temperature falling to zero this afternoon. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Cloudy. 40 percent chance of rain showers or flurries early this evening. Clearing overnight. Wind ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – May 2

Weather – Periods of rain. Fog patches developing late this afternoon. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this afternoon. High 9. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Fog patches. Low plus 2.   Statistics from Algoma Public Health (April 27, 2020 (9:00 a.m.) Algoma regions where residents have tested positive for COVID-19 include the ...

Read More »

International Astronomy Day – May 2

The study of astronomy has been around for some 5,000 years and is regarded as the oldest of the allied sciences. Over time, the constellations were created by seeing shapes using a handful of stars appearing close together such as Ursa Major or the Big Dipper. By connecting these stellar dots, celestial shapes came in the form of a person, ...

Read More »

Wawa Walks Day 6 – North Algoma Wellness Challenge

  Today is the sixth day of the North Algoma Wellness Challenge. Some of yesterday’s submissions are in the gallery above. The creativity that abounds in Wawa is amazing! The winner from yesterday was Cheryl Tremblay! Congratulations! Today’s challenge will be intriguing. I wonder what family traditions can be found in Wawa. To participate in the North Algoma Wellness Challenge follow ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – May 1

Weather – Mainly sunny. Wind up to 15 km/h. High 11. Wind chill minus 5 this morning. UV index 6 or high. Tonight – Increasing cloudiness late this evening. Low plus 1.   Statistics Country Total New Total New Cases Cases Deaths Deaths Canada 53,236 1,639 3,184 188 USA 1,095,304 30,829 63,871 2,201 Total: 3,325,620 234,496   Statistics from Algoma ...

Read More »

Helping to Protect Canadians – One DIY Mask at a Time

Army of Masks is a volunteer movement with a vital mission: to protect lives during COVID-19. Its goal – a DIY mask for every Canadian and American. Army of Masks has amplified awareness of protective masks for all and coordinated delivery of free, homemade, non-medical cotton masks within Canada and the USA. “We cannot put a price on a life,” says Tonya Dickenson, a ...

Read More »

The Sandins’ Perspective on C-19 from Sweden

I had the pleasure of speaking with Patric Sandin, the father of former Soo Greyhound and current Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player Rasmus Sandin. My approach to him was of a political nature, but hockey obviously was my lead in. Patric and I spoke on a few occasions during his son’s career as a Hound. I wanted to know how ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP Charge Pair with Drug and Weapons Offenses

On April 29, 2020, members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were on patrol duties in the Town of Bruce Mines. Shortly after 11:00 a.m., officers recognized a person who was wanted on a warrant for his arrest. OPP initiated a traffic stop at the eastern border of Bruce Mines on Highway 17. Further investigation ...

Read More »

OPP Close Ranger Lake Road

At 10:55 this morning East Algoma OPP issued a media release stating that Highway 556 (Ranger Lake Road) has been closed in both directions due to a washout. The highway is closed from Searchmont at Highway 532 to the junction of Highway 556 and Highway 129. The OPP will advise when the highway reopens. OPP reminds motorists that travelling on ...

Read More »

Wawa Walks Day 5 – North Algoma Wellness Challenge

Today is the fifth day of the North Algoma Wellness Challenge. Some of yesterday’s submissions are in the gallery above. It was great to see some of the ways that people grabbed the deck of card, played hopscotch… Today’s challenge might be fun – Craft Day. I wonder what creations will be brought to life today! To participate in the ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – April 30

Weather – Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers early this morning. Clearing near noon. Wind northeast 20 km/h. High 12. UV index 6 or high. Tonight Clear. Wind north 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 1.   Statistics Country Total New Total New Cases Cases Deaths Deaths Canada 51,597 1,551 2,996 137 USA 1,064,737 28,429 61,670 2,390 ...

Read More »

WFHT – Wearing Masks & Gloves

    Dr Shaffaf and Dr Robinson are back with another important video for Wawa. They have some important safety pointers about wearing masks and gloves to protect against COVID-19. This is the second video, the first is available by clicking this link.

Read More »