The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging individuals looking to obtain information about sexual assault investigations or the criminal justice system (CJS), or looking to access resources for survivors of sexual assault, to contact the OPP or its local partners in their area.
The OPP utilizes a victim-centred and trauma-informed approach to investigations with the expectation of mitigating victim/survivor impact, and has engaged in these community partnerships as a way to educate individuals on the CJS and other restorative justice options for survivors of sexual assault.
The North East Region’s Victim Response Support Unit recognizes the difficulty in reporting sexual assault and encourages individuals to contact them or one of their partners local to Manitoulin Island for information, support and resources:
- Manitoulin Health Centre
- Noojmowin Teg Health Centre – Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Services (Ka Naad Maa Go)
- Children’s Aid Society of the Districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin
- Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services
- Manitoulin Northshore Victim Services
- Nookomisnaang Shelter for victims of Family Violence (men, women, youth and families)
- Manitoulin Family Resources Centre – Haven House Shelter
In the event of an emergency, call 911 or contact 1-888-310-1122.
The OPP is looking into similar partnership initiatives throughout its North East Region.
- East Algoma OPP – Spousal Assault Charges Laid - June 17, 2021
- OPP Investigate after Benjamin Budge Found Deceased on Big Brother Road (North Bay) - June 16, 2021
- Manitoulin OPP – Early Morning Collision Claims Life - June 13, 2021