Headlines

Bus Cancellations

Apr 16, 2018 @ 06:59 Wawa-news has been advised that all transportation is canceled today for Wawa, White River and Chapleau due to the adverse weather and poor road conditions.  All schools are open. Please note that transportation is running in Hornepayne, Ontario.   CSNO explained it in more detail: “Cancellation of transport services – north shore, Elliot Lake, Sault ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – April 16

Apr 16, 2018 @ 05:07   Today’s Morning News is very early (5:07 a.m.) Road conditions on the MTO Website have not been updated since 9:31 p.m. yesterday. But I know a lot of Wawa-news readers travel for work.   Anecdotal reports are that the Dubreuilville Hwy (519) is snow-covered, low visibility but drivable (5:36 a.m.).   Weather – Environment ...

Read More »

Hwy 556 – CLOSED

Apr 15, 2018 @ 21:10 Hwy 556 has been closed from the Junction of Hwy 556 and Hwy 129 to the Junction of Hwy 556 and Hwy 532 due to poor weather conditions/glare ice.   OPPCommunicationsNER tweeted “ROAD CLOSURE: #Hwy556 is CLOSED between Garden Lake Rd and #Hwy129 #BruceMines due to glare ice and deteriorating weather conditions. Reopening time unknown.” ...

Read More »

#WalkforHumboldt – Wawa Cares

Apr 15, 2018 @ 18:30 On Friday, Councillor Sandra Weitzel organized a march for the community in support of those who lost their lives in the Humboldt tragedy. The march was scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. one week from the date of the collision. The march was escorted by Wawa’s emergency vehicles and personnel joined in. At the Michipicoten ...

Read More »

National Pet ID Week – April 15 – 21st

This is National Pet ID Week. The most common way to identify your dog is with a collar and a pet ID tag. Other methods include tattooing (most often seen in purebred registered breeds, and via a microchip – practical in larger populated areas. In Wawa, cats and dogs must be registered and tagged. Fees are below: It is important ...

Read More »

Winter Storm expected – Snow begins in SSM

Apr 15, 2018 @ 12:38   For the past several days, Environment Canada has been warning of a winter storm. Last night, severe freezing rain was falling around Birch Run, Michigan; and this morning, the Mackinac Bridge was closed to all high profile vehicles at 7: 30 a. m. due to winds blowing across the bridge surface in excess of 50 ...

Read More »

Hwy 17 was closed for short time due to Tractor Trailer Fire this afternoon

Apr 13, 2018 @ 19:03           Highway 17 was fully closed for a short time due to a tractor trailer on fire. The tractor was driven away from the trailer which was completely demolished in the blaze. At 4:15 p.m. OPPCommunicationsNER tweeted “VEHICLE FIRE: #Hwy17 approximately 15kms south of #WhiteRiver: Vehicle partially blocking the roadway.” There ...

Read More »

Red Pine Exploration Discovers New Shear Zone at Its Wawa Gold Project

Apr 13, 2018 @ 11:55 Red Pine has announced results from 20 diamond drill holes from the 2017-2018 drill program. As a result of this drill program, a new discovery almost 1 kilometer north of the Surluga Deposit, indicates the potential to expand their gold resources. Results also indicate that gold mineralization in the footwall of the Surluga Deposit now extends ...

Read More »

More Winter? Potential Storm to hit Northeastern Ontario

Apr 13, 2018 @ 09:20 Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement regarding a potential winter storm expected Sunday into Monday. “Snow at times heavy will spread into Northeastern Ontario Sunday morning. Significant snowfall amounts of 15 to 25 cm are possible by Monday night. In addition, strong northeasterly winds will produce areas of blowing snow, leading to reduced visibilities. Southeastern ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – April 13

Weather – Today will be a mix of sun and cloud. Wind northeast 20 km/h. High plus 1. UV index 6 or high. Tonight it will be partly cloudy. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h late this evening. Low minus 14. A potential winter storm is expected Sunday into Monday from Lake Superior Provincial Park to the east. Environment Canada warns ...

Read More »

Wawa Woman arrested with variety of drugs found in residence

Apr 12, 2018 @ 15:51 On Wednesday April 11, 2018 at approximately 8:00 a.m., members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Superior East (Wawa) Detachment along with the assistance of members of the Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU) and members of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) attended a residence on Mackey Street in Wawa, Ontario and executed a Controlled Drugs ...

Read More »

The ladies 2017-18 curling season Winners!

Apr 12, 2018 @ 14:38   The ladies 2017-18 curling season came to an exciting end on Wednesday, April 11th.  The Team of Debbie Tavella, Amanda Huff, Silvija Case, Jody Tait and Angele Begin (5-person rotating team) beat the Mathias team in the final game of the play-offs.  They won all 4 of their games.  What is more exciting is ...

Read More »

Curlers Support Humboldt during Championship Playoffs

Apr 12, 2018 @ 08:22   Last evening (April 11, 2018) both the Ladies and Men’s Playoff Championship Games were played at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre.   The four teams were dressed in hockey jerseys in memory of the tragic accident involving the Humboldt Broncos.  Living in a small northern community, we are aware of traveling to sports events. ...

Read More »

Wawa Men’s Curling – Championship

Apr 12, 2018 @ 08:15     Last evening the Men’s Championship Game was played.  Rival Teams Terris played Team Leschishin. The game was decided with the final rock in the 8th end. Congratulations to Team Terris – Regular Season Champions and Team Leschishin – Playoff Champions!     A special thank you to Jim Hoffmann Club President and Andy ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – April 12

Apr 12, 2018 @ 07:57 Weather – Today will see increasing cloudiness. Periods of light snow beginning this morning and ending this afternoon then 40 percent chance of rain showers late this afternoon. High plus 3. Tonight it will be mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries changing to 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. Wind ...

Read More »