Investigation determined the driver had a suspended license and no insurance on the vehicle. In addition, a rifle and numerous rounds of ammunition were located in the vehicle. The driver was on prior conditions to not possess these items. The vehicle was towed and the driver was arrested.
Jonathon LAVOIE, 63 years-old, of Elliot Lake was charged with:
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm (Two Counts), contrary to section 91(1) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle Knowing There was a Firearm, contrary to section 94 of the CC
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm (Two Counts), contrary to section 92(1) of the CC
- Possession of Firearm of Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (Seven Counts), contrary to section 117.01(1) of the CC
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Owner Operate Motor Vehicle on a Highway – No Insurance, contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
The accused was scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice Bail Court in Blind River on July 11, 2022.
- East Algoma OPP – Arrest made after theft call - September 30, 2022
- East Algoma OPP – Person arrested after traffic stop - September 30, 2022
- Nipigon OPP – Collision between Bus and Pickup being Investigated - September 28, 2022