On December 17, 2021 at approximately 4:25 PM officers from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Nipigon Detachment stopped an eastbound vehicle for a Highway Traffic Act offence on Highway 11-17, Nipigon Township.
As a result of the traffic stop, officers located and seized 11,900 cartons of unmarked cigarettes. Officers also seized a quantity of Canadian currency.
John D McCormack, age 71 of Grenfell, SK has been charged with the following offences:
- Trafficking in contraband tobacco.
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime over $5000.
- Possession of unmarked cigarettes.
- Possession of unmarked cigarettes for the purpose of sale.
The accused was released and is scheduled to appear in the Nipigon Ontario Court of Justice on February 8, 2022.
- Hornepayne OPP – Trafficking Charges Laid - September 28, 2023
- SE OPP – Blind River Man Charged after Traffic Complaint - September 28, 2023
- SE OPP Hornepayne – ATV Impounded, Driver Charged while driving under suspension - September 28, 2023