On August 27, 2020 at 2:35 p.m., officers from the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call for service at a residence on Wright Street in Gore Bay.
As a result of the investigation, Darcy HOPKIN, 43-years-old, of Gore Bay was arrested and charged with the following:
- Attempt to Commit Murder with a Firearm contrary to section 239(1)(a.1) of the Criminal Code (CC), and
- Possession of a Weapon for Dangerous Purpose contrary to section 88 of the CC.
The investigation is continuing with the assistance of the Manitoulin OPP Crime Unit and both the North Bay OPP and the Sault Ste. Marie OPP Forensic Identification Services (FIS) Unit. Additional charges are pending.
The accused remains in custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice – Bail Court on September 2, 2020 in Sudbury.
Further information will be released on the afternoon of September 2, 2020.
Any person with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Little Current OPP Detachment at 1-888-310-1122. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at (TIPS) or submit information online at to www.sudburycrimestoppers.com where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2000.1-800-222-8477
- Victim identified in Hwy 556 snowmobile collision - January 27, 2021
- East Algoma OPP – Victim Identified in Huron Shores Township Snowmobile Collision - January 26, 2021
- East Algoma OPP – Traffic Stop results in multiple charges for Trio - January 25, 2021