Community

Wawa Pioneers – Nestor Erechook

Jan 4, 2014 @ 23:11 Nestor’’s story began in Port Arthur, now Thunder Bay, where he was born to Doris and Nicholas on July 15, 1921.  His parents were entrepreneurs who worked at various enterprises during the depression years, while raising Nestor, his brother Lawrence and sisters, Stella, Margaret, Pauline, Elsie and Virginia.  Nestor lived in Beardmore just prior to ...

Read More »

Wawa Pioneers – Ursula Wilmot Hechler

Jun 8, 2013 @ 11:57 After eight days at sea, traveling from Germany to Canada, our ship the “Beaverbrae” docked in Quebec City on October 29, 1948 – my birthday. My mother Ida, sister Inga and I were taken to a railway station where we boarded a train heading West. We were on our way to Thunder Bay (Port Arthur) ...

Read More »

BOISSONEAU, Danny

At Manitowik Lake on Thursday, December 10th, 2009 at the age of 46 years. Kindred spirit & loving husband of Doreen (nee Bain.) Devoted father & friend of Danica Boissoneau (Greig Lethbridge), Dustin and the four-legged son Coal. Cherished son of William (Bill) and the late Joyce Boissoneau. Fun-loving brother of; the late Diane Jamieson (Alan), Donna Kozak (Tom), Denise ...

Read More »

Body Recovered in Search for Missing Snowmobiler

On April 12th, 2010, the Superior East OPP, OPP Underwater Search and Recovery Unit, OPP helicopter, and 2 MNR boats returned to the scene on Manitowik Lake to continue the search for 46-year-old, Daniel Boissoneau of Hawk Junction who went missing on December 10th, 2009 while driving a snowmobile on Manitowik Lake. Mr. Boissoneau was found at 2:00 p.m. on ...

Read More »

Snowmobiling On Manitowik Lake

Saturday, December 12th, 2009 – 13:28:09 Members of the Superior East O.P.P – Wawa Detachment are investigating an incident involving a Hawk Junction man who went through the ice at Manitowik Lake while snowmobiling on Thursday. Daniel Boissoneau, 46, went into the water sometime late Thursday triggering a search by the O.P.P and the Michipicoten Fire & Emergency Services that ...

Read More »

Veteran’s Memorial Board

This wall at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre is dedicated by a grateful community in memory of those who served courageously with Canadian and Allied Forces during World War I (1914-1918), World War II (1939-1945), Korean War (1950-1953) and peacekeeping. World War I Bill Atkinson, Reno Berdusco, Howard Bryan, William Fox, Fred Jones, Lorne Mahoney, Eric Monroe, William Penno, Wilfred Portugais, Frank Sherlock, ...

Read More »

Pathways – On Making Commitments (and breaking them)

How often do we make commitments to ourselves, then not follow through? How often do we feel so sure that what we have committed ourselves to will come to pass – as if by magic? How often have we made life changing commitments, only to break the commitment or have it broken for us? Ouch!! I can only speak to ...

Read More »

Pathways – The Mischievous Committee

Have you a mischievous committee chattering away within your head? This committee consists of many members trying to make themselves heard. Some members want to grow and change and tackle new and interesting challenges. Others want to maintain the status quo, still others offer all the reasons why something just won’t work, or why the time isn’t right. Sound familiar? ...

Read More »

Pathways – A Smile Makes the World a Brighter Place

Have you ever wondered why the world becomes brighter when you smile? Or when you meet someone whose smile lights up your life…for that fleeting second? What is it that changes when we smile? Is there ever a smile more joyous then when a baby first smiles? It doesn’t matter whether it’s rainy, foggy, snowing or whatever. They just smile ...

Read More »

Pathways – Melancholy, An Opportunity for Change

Melancholy: described in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary as a pensive sadness, sad or gloomy. The past few days I’ve felt melancholy, in a funk. I continued to do all those things that one feels they must do each day just to survive. I put a smile on my face when I needed to. I tried to practice what I preach. ...

Read More »

Brown Announces Funding Increase to Twp of Michipicoten

Published on: Apr 7, 2005 Under the new Ontario Municipal Partnership Fund (OMPF) the Township of Michipicoten will receive an increase of $209,226 over what it received under the old Community Reinvestment Fund (CRF), Mike Brown, M.P.P. for Algoma-Manitoulin announced today. The funding is part of the Ontario government’s announcement that it is replacing the CRF with the more equitable ...

Read More »

Driver dies from injuries…

Published on: Mar 29, 2005 (Wawa, Ontario) – Superior East OPP had investigated a 2 vehicle collision on Highway 17 on March 17th. The driver of the car, 34 year old Christopher Barbe of Capreol, Ontario had crossed over the center line and struck the side of a tractor trailer going the opposite direction. He was transported to Lady Dunn ...

Read More »

Pathways – Change Can Be Good

It has often been said that the only things certain in life is death and taxes. I’d like to add Change. If we are living at all, we are constantly changing, as a people, as a community, as a country. And usually change is very difficult. It’s often so easy to leaves things just as they are, with the familiar seeming better than ...

Read More »

Serious Injury Collision South of Wawa…

Publish on: Mar 17, 2005 (Wawa, Ontario) – Superior East OPP detachment are investigating a 2 vehicle collision which occurred today on Highway 17 approximately 70 kms south of Wawa at 3:30 pm.   The investigation revealed that a northbound car driven by 34 year old Chris Barbe of Capreol, Ontario crossed over into the southbound lane sideswiping a southbound ...

Read More »

Wawa OPP Detachment gets new name…

Published on: Mar 16, 2005 (Wawa, Ontario) – Staff Sgt Ron Faulkner wishes to announce that effective immediately the Wawa Detachment of the OPP which includes Chapleau, Hornepayne and White River will have a new name. They will now be known as SUPERIOR EAST DETACHMENT of the Ontario Provincial Police.  The new name will be indicative of the economic and ...

Read More »