Community

What are governments supposed to do for us?

One of the real perks for me in this job is visiting with students in our school system. Many would be surprised to learn that my visits don’t just focus on secondary school civics classes. I make it a point to visit classrooms from primary grades through to college. If we want our youth to be engaged and have an ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United Church – March 14

Mar 14, 2018 @ 08:12 The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926 CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 -3 p.m. Roberta requests that an appointment be made. Please call 705-856-2926 & ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United – March 7

Mar 7, 2018 @ 08:32 The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church. Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926 CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 -3 p.m Roberta requests that an appointment be made. Please call 705-856-2926 ...

Read More »

From the Branch – March 7

Mar 7, 2018 @ 08:18 Now that we are into March my memories go back to 1945 and the last month under occupation. At night it was hard to sleep as the V1 launching pads were just a few kilometers from or village of Warnsveld. Every time one of these flying bombs came over we laid listening to the stuttering ...

Read More »

Health Care & Overcrowding

Mar 5, 2018 @ 16:25 The recent school shooting down in Florida sent collective shivers down the spine of parents and grandparents around the world. Few leaders would disagree that among the very highest trusts bestowed upon elected leaders is the protection of our children. Long ago I recall a grandmother saying to me, “The most precious jewels that a ...

Read More »

March is Nutrition Month “Unlock the Potential of Food”

Mar 1, 2018 @ 08:15   Nutrition Month is now thirty years old, beginning as a “Nutrition Week”. It grew with dietitians planning events and activities in their workplaces, shopping malls, libraries and with the media; and grew to span provinces. In 1981, The Canadian Dietetic Association (now Dietitians of Canada) and all the provincial dietetic associations jointly sponsored the ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United Church – February 28

Feb 28, 2018 @ 11:57 The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926. CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 -3 p.m. Roberta requests that an appointment be made. Please call 705-856-2926 & ...

Read More »

Warm Weather closes Outdoor Rink at MMCC

Feb 27, 2018 @ 13:50 Unfortunately, due to the warm weather and beautiful sunshine, we must close the Outdoor Rink at the MMCC. The sunshine has caused slush to develop and conditions on the rink are no longer suitable for skating. Please refrain from using the outdoor rink while the red flag is up. As temperatures fluctuate during the next ...

Read More »

Carillion & MPAC

Feb 26, 2018 @ 08:27 Well, we all know that Toronto has been described by some as ‘Hollywood North’ because of the popularity it has gained as a preferred site for movie and television productions. As well it has always been a hotbed for theatre and shows. But this week it seems Toronto is now known as the location of ...

Read More »

Happenings at Wawa First United Church – February 21

The congregation welcomes everyone to Worship at First United Church.  Services are held on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926 CHURCH OFFICE HOURS – Thurs. 1 -3 p.m Roberta requests that an appointment be made. Please call 705-856-2926 & leave a message. We ...

Read More »

Back to Work

Feb 19, 2018 @ 08:12 This week MPPs will return to Queen’s Park for the last leg of this session before the anticipated election that will be called for early June. I for one am ready to get back into the Legislature and Queen’s Park office; eager to tackle the multitude of issues that have been brought to my attention ...

Read More »

Friday at the Winter Carnival – Schedule

Feb 16, 2018 @ 08:25 Time Event Location Address Friday 11:30 – 2:00 Indian Tacos & Chilli Lunch Senior’s Drop In Centre Broadway Avenue 6:30 Wawa Winter Carnival Parade Broadway Avenue & Mission Road 7:00 Carnival Kick-off, Fireworks, Bonfire Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Family Dance Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre

Read More »

Former Wawa OPP Officer New Media Services Coordinator for the North East Region

Feb 14, 2018 @ 12:35 Inspector Baldassare Nuccio of the North East Region Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officially welcomes Sergeant Carlo Berardi as the new Media Services Coordinator for the North East Region. Berardi started his career in 1994 when he was deployed to the Superior East detachment in Wawa, Ontario. He spent five years there before transferring to North Bay ...

Read More »

‘Chase away the Winter Blues’ Event was a great success!

Feb 14, 2018 @ 10:40 Last Saturday, February. 10, 2018, the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 429 held a “Chase the Winter Blues Away” event. There were 91 wonderful items to bid on in a silent auction, with at least 8 different appetizers to tempt the palate, and a special blue libation for the evening.   Over seventy people took advantage ...

Read More »