Community

The Wish Upon a Star Tree is ready for stars

The Wish Upon a Star Tree in the hospital lobby is ready for stars from donors. The Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation has launched its annual “Wish Upon a Star” Campaign. For every gift made to the 2019 Wish Campaign, a star will be displayed on the Foundation Wish Tree in the hospital lobby. At the admitting desk, stars can ...

Read More »

News from the Park – Northern Ontario Travel Grants

NFTP 191122 People in Algoma-Manitoulin know that when they experience difficulty navigating the tangles of various provincial ministries and agencies, that my office is here to help. Just call or email my constituency office and my team is happy to assist. One of the most frequent topics of concern and request for assistance is in regard to the Northern Ontario ...

Read More »

The Wawa Christmas Hamper Fund

The Wawa Christmas Hamper Fund is a charitable organization which services the needs of holiday participants with a little something to make your Christmas a little brighter. Each hamper includes non-perishable food and sundry items, vegetables, a turkey or ham and a $25 gift card with toys for the children as well. Our hope is that this hamper will carry ...

Read More »

From the Branch – November 20

Just as we get used to the same drill for Remembrance Day, we get one like this  with a smaller contingent and snow, but everyone was ready and the wreath laying at the cenotaph was well done. At the MHS everything went well and Comrade Larry had everything lined up.   The presentation of the 75 year pin to Comrade ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – November 20

Our New Books on the 7-Day Shelf this week are: “Devil’s Daughter” by Lisa Kleypas, “The Girl Who Lived Twice” by David Lagercrantz, “Bitter Roots” by C.J. Box and “Me” by Elton John.  Come on in today and browse through all of the great books on our New Books Shelf! STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ARE; “Stone Cold”  ...

Read More »

NDP MPP introduces bill to fix the Northern Health Travel Grant

NDP MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan Judith Monteith-Farrell introduced a bill in the Ontario legislature today that would ensure the Northern Health Travel Grant is reviewed and improved, and that northern Ontario residents get the support they need to access health care. The Northern Health Travel Grant Advisory Committee Act would see the establishment of an advisory committee to consult with ...

Read More »

News from the Park – You don’t need a Degree…

You know, you don’t need to have your PhD in psychology or Master of Education to know the best way to bring about the behaviours in others that you want. I’ll prove it to you right here. Let’s say you want your child to develop the habit of making his bed before school or hanging up her coat when she ...

Read More »

Hey Wawa! Shine the Light on Woman Abuse

Shine the Light on Woman Abuse is a public awareness campaign which originated in London, Ontario. November is Woman Abuse Prevention Month in Ontario, and this year Wawa’s Committee on Woman Abuse is participating in the campaign to Shine the Light on Woman Abuse.   The goals of the Shine the Light on Woman Abuse campaign are: to raise ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – November 13

NEW BOOKS on the 7- Day Shelf this week are; “The Chain” by Adrian McKinty, “A Nearly Normal Family” by M.T. Edvardsson and “The German Midwife” by Mandy Robotham. Come on in and check it out!!   STAFF PICKS FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ARE: “A Thousand Splendid suns” by Khaled Hosseini, “The Last Houseguest” by Megan Miranda, “The Alice Network” ...

Read More »

News From the Park – long-term care facilities

Call me a dreamer or idealist, if you will. I’ve certainly been called much worse. I am proud to wear such a moniker because living here in Canada, I’m happy to say I am certainly not alone. In fact, I think one of our greatest traits as Canadians is to believe in doing what is right and that brighter days ...

Read More »

“The Stories the Wind Carries”

An interprovincial project between Wawa, Michipicoten First Nation, Pikangikum First Nation, Wolfe Island, and Toronto November 10 to November 17, 2019 Jamii, an arts organization based in Toronto, is connecting people and theirs stories throughout the province! In the upcoming months, the Jamii team will be visiting Wawa and Michipicoten First Nation, Wolfe Island and Pikangikum First Nation to invite ...

Read More »

From the Branch – November 6

This Sunday several Comrades went to Hawk Junction for the annual Hawk remembrance Service. It was nice and sunny and although cool everyone present was again in awe that such a small place had such a rich history when it comes to volunteer soldiers ready to fight for peace and freedom in 2 wars and the Korea action. The usual luncheon was ...

Read More »

Between the Covers – November 6

NEW BOOKS ON THE 7 DAY SHELF this week are; “The Shape of Night” by Tess Gerritsen, “Vince Flynn Lethal Agent” by Kyle Mills and “Death in Focus” by Anne Perry. Come on in to the Wawa Public Library and CHECK IT OUT! NEW MOVIES ON THE SHELF this week are; “The Hummingbird Project”, “Wonders of the Universe”, “Category 7” and ...

Read More »