Community

Jill Dunlop, Associate Minister of Children & Women’s Issues – International Women’s Day

Today, Jill Dunlop, Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues, issued the following statement to mark International Women’s Day: “Today we celebrate International Women’s Day – a day to highlight the success and leadership of women around the world and acknowledge the work that lies ahead towards achieving full gender equality. The theme this year is “Achieving an equal future ...

Read More »

New Youth Virtual Hub Launched

Algoma Family Services as part of an alliance of community partners (Algoma Children’s Aid Society, Algoma District School Board, Algoma Family Services, Algoma Public Health, Canadian Mental Health Association, Future SSM, Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board, the John Howard’s Society, Northern Youth Services, Sault Area Hospital, SSM District Social Services Administration Board, SSM Innovation Centre, and the SSM Police Services) ...

Read More »

Obituary to Biscuit the Raven

For over a week now, my heart is heavy and I feel like crawling under a rock. No, not because of the virus and being cooped up, but because I feel as though I caused the death of a flock of ravens. It was the end of a sunny afternoon when a knock on the door interrupted the peace and ...

Read More »

École Saint-Joseph (Wawa) closed until March 9, 2021

The health and safety of students and employees remains CSC Nouvelon’s top priority. Due to frozen pipes in various parts of École Saint-Joseph (Wawa), the school will be closed for all students from Kindergarten to grade 12 on Friday, March 5, as well as Monday, March 8, 2021.   At the moment, students are expected to resume their in-class learning ...

Read More »

Emergency Closure of St. Joseph French Immersion Catholic School (March 5 & 8…)

As a result of a frozen sewer line, the Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board (HSCDSB) will be temporarily closing St. Joseph French Immersion Catholic School in Wawa on Friday, March 5. The board made its decision in consultation with Conseil scolaire catholique Nouvelon, which shares the facility. HSCDSB’s Plant Department has advised that specialized equipment is required to address the ...

Read More »

LDHCF Results of Catch the Ace: Week 25

Congratulations to Jody Ward-Houle, winner of Week 25 of the Foundation’s Catch the Ace Lottery! The Foundation is happy to announce that the progressive jackpot continues to grow; it sits at $29,994 as Week 26 begins. Here are the final numbers for week #25: Weekly Pot: $1,946, and Progressive Pot: $29,994 Winner: Jody Ward-Houle, her envelope #3 held the Ace ...

Read More »

East Algoma OPP reminds people to stay vigilant of frauds and scams!

The East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police is reminding the public to stay vigilant of frauds and scams. Arm yourself with the information you need to fight fraud and keep yourself, your family and money safe. You work hard for your money: you want to spend it on things that matter to you.   Fraudster are real: They are ...

Read More »

Court’s Decision Leaves Autism Community Relieved

The Ontario Autism Coalition is relieved that Alek Minassian has been found guilty for his crimes, and hopes that families impacted by the 2018 van attack will find at least a small sense of comfort from the verdict. We hope that this decision can now lift the dark cloud that has hung over this trial, with a firm rejection of ...

Read More »

Happenings at First United Church – 3rd Sunday of Lent

Although we cannot meet for Worship together you may like to read the Scriptures for 07 March  2021- Lent 3 Exodus 20:1-17                The ten commandments Psalm 19                           The heavens declare the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 1: 18-25    God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom. John 2: 13-22                    Jesus clears the temple. To Ponder:   When have you been stirred up ...

Read More »

Virtual Asian Carp Information Session March 3rd

Do you have questions about Asian carps? Are you concerned about how they could impact the Great Lakes if they were to establish? If so, then join the Invasive Species Centre on Wednesday, March 3rd at 1 PM EST for an information session as part of the Ontario Invasive Species Forum. This information session will focus on Canadian research surrounding risk assessments, non-physical barrier ...

Read More »

SCHREIBER, John Douglas

Peacefully passed away with Saara by his side at the Lady Dunn Health Centre on Thursday, February 25, 2021, at the age of 87 years. He was the beloved son of  the late Julia and Herman Schreiber. John will be fondly remembered and sadly missed by his special friend Saara Mickusz.  He was loved and cherished by his children Audrey ...

Read More »

Happy 80th Birthday Joan

Happy 80th Birthday Mom Wish we could all be together to celebrate with you. Love, Karen, Brad, Michelle, Garth, Doug, and all your grandkids and great-grandkids

Read More »

From the Park “la cavalerie arrive”

Quand je n’étais qu’un enfant, je me souviens que lors d’occasions spéciales, j’étais allé avec ma mère dans une boulangerie locale. C’était le rêve d’un enfant devenu réalité. Biscuits, chocolats, déserts avec des pépites. Gardez à l’esprit que c’était une sorte de « retour dans le temps » où tout, mais tout a été fait sur place à partir de ...

Read More »

From the Park “the cavalry is coming”

When I was just a kid, I remember on some special occasions going with my mom to a local bakery.  It was a kid’s dream come true walking in there.  Cookies, chocolates, deserts with sprinkles.  Keep in mind that this was a ‘back in the day’ old fashioned kind where everything, but everything was made on site from scratch.  No ...

Read More »

BOWES, Anne (nee McCaig)

September 6-1953 – February 20-2021 Passed away peacefully at the FJ Davey Home in her 68th year. Beloved wife of John “Jack” Bowes for 49 years. Loving mother of Heather Bowes (James) and Michael Bowes (Karen). Sister of Jane Ozon (Gerry) and Andrew McCaig. Predeceased by her parents William and Edna McCaig. Anne was born in Redhill, Surrey, England, and immigrated ...

Read More »