On December 8, 2021 at approximately 12:54 p.m. the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of a shoplifter that had targeted businesses on Centre Street in Espanola.
A business reported that an individual was in their store stealing items. When police attended to arrest the person, they were uncooperative by yelling obscenities and assaulting officers. After police arrested the person, additional stolen property, illegal cigarettes, and suspected methamphetamine was located in their possession.
Nikita SAGO, 20 years-old, from Espanola is charged with:
- Theft Under $5000- Shoplifting (Two Counts), contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Assault With Intent to Resist Arrest, contrary to section 270(1)(b) of the CC
- Causing a Disturbance, contrary to section 175(1)(a) of the CC
- Possess Unmarked Cigarettes contrary to section 29(2) of the Tobacco Tax Act
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance Methamphetamine, contrary to section 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court Justice in Espanola on January 24, 2022
- OPP offer reward to solve 1990 Manitouwadge Murder - May 19, 2022
- East Algoma OPP – Elliot Lake Man charged after being recognized on video using stolen cards - May 18, 2022
- OPP – Canada Road Safety Week (CRSW) - May 17, 2022