Headlines

Gas Stolen in Wawa, Arrest made after deploying spike belt near Goulais River

On September 15, 2019, at approximately 4:30 p.m., members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were called to a service station on Mission Road in Wawa, Ontario, regarding a theft of gas. At approximately 5:55 p.m., an officer from the Sault Ste Marie OPP Detachment observed the suspect motor vehicle driving southbound on Highway 17. Upon ...

Read More »

Have you seen this cat?

This family lost their cat down at the marina and have been actively looking for him for over a week now without any luck.  They are desperate to bring him back home where everyone misses him dearly. If you have seen this cat, please call (705) 852-0533.

Read More »

Rock Island Lodge Presents – Celebrate the Night Sky

Rock Island Lodge is hosting an evening to celebrate the night sky on Thursday, September 19th at 7:30 p.m. Featured will be short films about light pollution and darkening our night skies and tips on what you can do to reduce light pollution. If the skies are clear, viewing of the night sky (fingers crossed for a clear night!) There ...

Read More »

The last thing we need are self-serving elected officials

A while ago I was bemoaning to my former teacher friend how exhausting my schedule has been this summer. But I also realized that travelling and attending meetings and events six days a week is really just a part of the job. My friend said immediately that he understood what I was saying because back when he was a teacher ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – September 16

Weather – Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of drizzle this morning. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 19. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – A few clouds. Increasing cloudiness near midnight then 40 percent chance of drizzle overnight. Fog patches developing near midnight. Low 10.   News Tidbits – The Wawa Volunteer Fire Department is looking for new recruits. ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – September 15

Weather – A mix of sun and cloud. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 18. UV index 5 or moderate. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers overnight. Fog patches developing near midnight. Low 10. News Tidbits – Today is Wawa’s Terry Fox Run at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre. Registration begins at 11:00 am with the run ...

Read More »

Wawa hosts National Kids Cancer Ride

  Yesterday, despite the pouring rain, participants in the National Kids Cancer Ride and their support staff made their way from Marathon to Wawa where a spaghetti and meat balls dinner hosted by the Wawa Rotarians was waiting.   The riders left White Rock on September 4th, and for Day 10 – 14 riders were to ride from Marathon to ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – September 14

Weather – Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Wind southwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High 13. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight – Partly cloudy. Fog patches developing after midnight. Low plus 5. News Tidbits – Today is a busy day for Wawaites. There is the Municipality’s once a year Hazardous Waste Collection and the Fall Festival. In ...

Read More »

Superior East OPP officers recognized in North East Region Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Awards Ceremony

On September 12, 2019, the North East Region Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Awards Ceremony took place at West Nipissing Recreation Complex in West Nipissing honouring citizens and OPP members, both uniform and civilian. Awards and recognition were given for acts of life saving, bravery, exemplary service, the Quarter Century Club and length of service. OPP Commissioner Thomas Carrique along with North ...

Read More »

Ontario Maple Syrup Producers’ Association launches digital marketing campaign

  The Ontario Maple Syrup Producers’ Association (OMSPA) is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of a digital marketing campaign to promote the consumption of Ontario-produced maple syrup and the provincial event, Maple Weekend. Funding for the project was provided by the government of Ontario through its Rural Economic Development (RED) program. News of funding approval for the $18,000 project ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – September 13

Weather – Periods of rain mixed with drizzle. Amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind becoming southeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High 16. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Showers. Amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Wind becoming southwest 20 before morning. Low 10. News Tidbits – ...

Read More »

Youth Enterprise Camp

  For a thirteenth consecutive summer, business-minded youth had their place to shine.  The Youth Enterprise Camp was run in Wawa from August 12th to 16th, 2019 at the Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre. The camp introduces youth ages 9-13 to the values, attitudes, qualities and skills needed to be successful in today’s economy. High-energy games, activities and workshops challenge every participant ...

Read More »

Camp entreprise jeunesse

  Pour un treizième été consécutif, les jeunes qui ont le sens des affaires avaient leur place pour briller. Le camp entreprise jeunesse s’est tenu à Wawa du 12 au 16 août 2019 au Centre communautaire Michipicoten. Le camp présente aux jeunes âgés de 9 à 13 ans les valeurs, les attitudes, les qualités et les compétences nécessaires pour réussir dans ...

Read More »

Human Remains Discovered in Elliot Lake over Weekend – UPDATE

On August 11, 2019, members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were notified of human remains in a wooded area within the City of Elliot Lake.   The Ontario Forensic Pathology Service has conducted a post mortem examination of the human remains.  The results have confirmed the remains are those of James Lee (Jimmy) MONEY ...

Read More »