Author Archives: BrenAdmin

Rail Service returns to Churchill, Manitoba – Can Passenger Train Service resume between SSM & Hearst?

In May of 2017, spring flooding damaged the rail line leading into Churchill, Manitoba. Omnitrax said that it would be too expensive to repair, and as a result, the community suffered from soaring costs for food and fuel; and isolation, relying on very expensive flights for transportation. In late August 2018, Arctic Gateway Group Limited Partnership, a private-public partnership that includes ...

Read More »

Halloween Safety Tonight!

Oct 31, 2018 @ 08:02 Ah Yes!! The costumes are all made, the pumpkins have been carved into spooky jack-o-lanterns, and the candy bowl is overflowing with tasty treats. Halloween is here-little ghosts, goblins, and witches will soon be knocking on your door shouting out those familiar words—Trick or Treat!!! Halloween is a fun night for both young and old. ...

Read More »

Last Days of We Scare Hunger Campaign!

Northern Lights Ford’s We Scare Hunger Campaign will be on location at John’s Valu-mart Saturday, October 27 from 11:00 to 2:00 where you can make a donation of any non-perishable food item or a monetary donation.  Our campaign has been successful but there is still 5 days left.  LET’S STOP HUNGER IN IT’S TRACKS! All donations collected during the month ...

Read More »

Ground-Breaking Technology & Tradition Connect to Help More Indigenous Women

Talk4Healing, a crucial helpline for Indigenous women, launched new text and chat technology that will increase the ability to provide support and services across Ontario. “Technology is having epochal changes on how people communicate and is a human story that is evolving every day. Talking on the telephone to connect with others is fast becoming a trend of the past,” ...

Read More »

Investigation reopened into 1972 death of Audrey Anderson

In the early morning hours of October 11, 1972, the deceased body of Audrey ANDERSON, 19-years-old, of Sioux Lookout, was located on the south shoulder of Drayton Road east of Highway 72. At the time, the incident was investigated as a motor vehicle collision. Ontario Chief Coroner, Doctor Dirk HUYER and the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Criminal Investigation Branch, Detective Inspector ...

Read More »

Thank You for your support!

  I would like to thank all the voters in Wawa and Michipicoten who supported me by voting in the 2018 Wawa Municipal Election. Thank you for placing your faith in me.   I look forward to the challenge of Municipal Councillor, working with my fellow council members,  and the citizens of Wawa/Michipicoten over the next four years. It is my ...

Read More »

Today is World Polio Day – Wawa’s Polio Plus Bake Sale!

  Today is World Polio Plus, and Wawa is celebrating that ‘We are so Close!” with a bake sale with the Wawa Goose Club Seniors. This joint bake sale will raise funds for Polio Plus and for the Seniors.   The movement spearheaded by Rotary to stamp out Polio has seen incredible success – immunizing over 2.5 billion children in the ...

Read More »

Ontario Government Protecting Steel Jobs in SSM

Ontario’s Government for the People is protecting thousands of steel industry jobs in Sault Ste. Marie and the surrounding communities. This investment will support the healthy restructuring of Algoma Steel and provide a sustainable future, while supporting thousands of hard-working employees and pensioners in the North. Today, Premier Doug Ford visited Algoma to announce the government’s support in the form ...

Read More »

Election 2018 – Wawa, Dubreuilville, Chapleau, White River, Hornepayne

Oct 23, 2018 @ 08:02 Unoffical Election results are in.   Wawa OFFICIAL Mayor Ron Rody (aclaimed) Councillors James Brown 339 Cathy Cannon 375 Bill Chiasson 596 elected Mitch Hatfield 395 elected Robert Reece 407 elected Pat Tait 610 elected Sandra Weitzel 287 Voters 2103 voted 837 Percentage 39.8 Dubreuilville OFFICIAL Mayor Beverly Nantel (acclaimed) Councillors Chantal Croft 163 elected ...

Read More »

A Red Dress at Agawa

  A Red Dress was hanging at the abandoned and burnt out shell of what was once a gas station, restaurant, and residence. These photos were taken on October 9th. The RCMP report “Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women: A National Operational Overview” brought to the public eye the sobering fact that a total of 1,181 people — 164 missing Indigenous women ...

Read More »

Have Coffee with a Firefighter!

  The Wawa Fire Department held an Open House “Have Coffee with a Firefighter” on Sunday, October 17yh from noon til 3 p.m. This was a great opportunity to visit the Wawa Fire Hall, see some of the equipment, and if you were a child… sit in a fire truck! Well, they won’t say, but I think a few adults ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – October 17

Weather – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High plus 1. Wind chill minus 8 in the morning. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries this evening. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low minus 8. Wind chill minus ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – October 14

Weather – Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Wind southwest 20 km/h. High 6. UV index 2 or low. Tonight – Cloudy. 60 percent chance of rain showers this evening. Periods of rain or snow beginning near midnight. Low zero. Marine Weather – Strong wind warning in effect. Wind southwest 20 knots veering to west 20 early this morning ...

Read More »