The New Year is upon us. A time for reflecting on the past, and planning for the future. A time when many feel compelled to set a resolution they will actually carry out this year. This year, set a resolution that is realistic, attainable, and will not fall by the wayside by mid-April. Set the resolution to eat more!
Eat more nuts. Eat more fish. Eat more vegetables. Eat more fruit. Eat more lentils or beans.
This year set a resolution to embrace the food you eat and eat the food you enjoy. Stop eating thingsyou think you are “supposed” to eat and eat the things you want to eat! Food is about more than calories and fat and carbs, it is about satisfaction and enjoyment. Eat meals you can savor and enjoy. Take time to appreciate the food on your plate. Smell it, chew it, and relish it. Instead of eating less of some foods, try eating more of others. Filling up on veggies and nuts may work to decrease evening snacking of processed foods like chips or candy.
Remove the guilt and shame associated with your food choices. Explore why you eat what you do and how that contributes to your overall health goals. Learn the patterns to your eating, do you go for sugar- coated candy when you are anxious? Does skipping breakfast leads to overeating at lunch? How about late night binge watching?
Spend this New Year learning about you are the foods you eat. Learn to eat in a way that can make you happy with the results.
HOW TO BUILD A HEALTHY TRAIL MIX
Yield: 4-5 cups
For the customizable version:
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts i.e. almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts etc..
- 1 cup raw seeds i.e. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc…
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphured dried fruit
- Fun stuff (amounts vary) i.e. 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate, 1 cup popped popcorn, 1 cup
- Spice i.e. 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg (optional)
My Go-To Trail Mix Recipe:
- 3/4 cup raw pecans (I toast mine in the oven for 10 mins at 350 degrees F)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (I toast mine in the oven for 10 mins at 350 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unsulfured raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped 82% dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a ziploc bag or mason jar.
- Will keep for up to 1 month.
SOURCE – Jenelle McAuley, RD, BScAHN
Latest posts by This Media Release (see all)
- All CSC Nouvelon schools to be open on February 27th – Strike Cancelled - February 25, 2020
- Ontario Modernizing Delivery of Home and Community Care - February 25, 2020
- Hurry Hard! Ladies Bonspiel Early Bird Deadline is Coming Soon! - February 25, 2020