Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Concludes Criminal Investigation into ORNGE

Feb 8, 2018 @ 10:39 Ontario Provincial Police have concluded their investigation into the allegations of criminal wrongdoing on the part of senior employees of ORNGE. Their conclusion is that there is insufficient evidence to support laying criminal charges. From the OPP Press Release “The investigation began in February 2012 and was led by the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB). ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – February 8

Feb 8, 2018 @ 07:47 Weather Today A few flurries ending near noon then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Local amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 15. Wind chill minus 26 this morning. Tonight Partly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 24. Wind ...

Read More »

Making Rosaries at École Saint-Joseph

Rosary Making

Feb 7, 2018 @ 13:01 Students in grade 3 at École Saint-Joseph (Wawa) made their own rosary thanks to the guidance of educational consultant Ms. Julie Lancup and teacher Ms. Ashley Hunt-Robinson. It was a truly enriching experience for the students!

Read More »

Investigation Continues into Hwy 69 Fatal Collision

Hwy69 Fatal Collision

Feb 7, 2018 @ 11:39 The investigation continues in a collision that occurred February 6th, 2018 on Highway 69 just south of the Shawanaga River Bridge. Investigators say that their investigation reveals that a northbound sports utility vehicle (SUV) crossed the centre line into the path of a southbound tractor-trailer when it collided. Upon impact, the SUV became engulfed in flames. ...

Read More »

Fatal Collision closes Highway 69 for 8 hours

Hwy69 Fatal Collision

Feb 7, 2018 @ 08:30 The West Parry Sound OPP Detachment closed Highway 69 in Shawanaga Township due to a two-vehicle collision.  OPP reported, “The crash involved a passenger vehicle and a tractor-trailer. There are multiple deceased as a result of the crash. Highway 69 has been closed since 4:00 p.m. but is re-opening shortly.” There was a detour is available via ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – February 7

Feb 7, 2018 @ 07:59 Weather Today Flurries ending near noon then mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Local amount 2 to 4 cm. High minus 10. Tonight Partly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 22. Wind chill minus 27.   Roads 2018-02-07 – early morning report 101 Timmins to ...

Read More »

Today is Safer Internet Day

Feb 6, 2018 @ 08:06 Today is Safer Internet Day, with this year’s focus on “Create, connect and share respect: A better internet starts with you” Last month, the OPP and the  Canadian Centre for Child Protection (Canadian Centre or C3P) signed an important agreement that highlights areas of collaboration to enhance the safety of children and youth in Ontario. ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – February 6

Feb 6, 2018 @ 07:54 Weather Today A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 15. Wind chill minus 30 this morning. Tonight Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries early this evening. Flurries at times heavy beginning this evening. Local amount 5 cm. Wind up to 15 ...

Read More »

Hwy 17 OPEN (Wawa to Batchawana)

Feb 6, 2018 @ 04:16 Highway 17 has been reopened. At 1:40 this morning Environment Canada advised that the snow squalls were no longer expected for that area. The highway had been closed since 7:38 Monday, January 5, 2018.

Read More »

Traffic Delays East of Wawa – Highway 101 UPDATE

Feb 5, 2018 @ 19:50 The tractor trailer has been removed. Feb 5, 2018 @ 18:15 There are minor traffic delays on Highway 101 as Superior East OPP conduct traffic control around a disabled tractor trailer. The tractor trailer is partially up the Ghost Lake Hill headed east, and is blocking the lane. Please be careful for the next hour ...

Read More »

ETFO members’ survey shows violence pervasive in schools

Feb 5, 2018 @ 07:45 The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) commissioned Strategic Communications (Stratcom) to conduct a survey of its members from October 21 to November 13, 2017, regarding their experiences of workplace violence from the 2016-2017 school year. The survey results reveal an increase in the number and severity of violent incidents. ETFO members also say that front ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – February 2

Weather Today A mix of sun and cloud. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 16. Wind chill minus 32. Tonight Partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries this evening and after midnight. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 31. Wind chill minus 34.   Roads 2018-02-02 – early morning report 101 Timmins to Highway 144 bare and dry ...

Read More »

Motorist on James Bay Winter Road charged with drug offences

Feb 1, 2018 @ 08:02 On Wednesday January 30, 2018 at approximately 3:45 a.m., members of the Moosonee Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) stopped a motor vehicle on the James Bay Winter road between Moosonee and Fort Albany. During the investigation, small quantities of what are suspected to be cocaine, percocet and marihuana were seized. As a result, ...

Read More »