As part of proactive surveillance testing in all of Algoma long term care homes, COVID-19 has been confirmed in three residents of Extendicare Maple View. Algoma Public Health’s outbreak response team is working closely with Extendicare Maple View’s care team to take further preventive actions to protect staff and residents.
At this time, the three residents have no symptoms and remain in isolation to prevent further transmission.
Surveillance testing of all Extendicare Maple View staff and residents has been completed. Other initial lab results have been negative. As the remainder of results become available, Extendicare Maple View will continue to provide updates to residents, staff, and family members.
Any family members with questions or concerns may contact Maple View administrator Barb Harten at 705-574-3000 ext. 1110.
Extendicare Maple View staff or essential visitors who have any concerns may also contact Maple View administrator Barb Harten at 705-574-3000 ext. 1110 or Algoma Public Health at 705-759-5404.
“According to Ministry of Health criteria, one single resident or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 in a long-term care home is enough to declare an outbreak,” explains Dr. Jennifer Loo, Associate Medical Officer of Health at Algoma Public Health. “Our outbreak response team is working with Maple View to identify potential exposures, and to support the care team in putting heightened infection prevention and control measures in place that will reduce the risk of further spread.”
Preventive actions in all long-term care homes
- All residents, staff and essential visitors are screened for symptoms every day, including temperature checks
- Visitor restrictions have been in effect since early March
- Group activities have been discontinued
- All staff and essential visitors wear masks
- Any resident who develops symptoms is immediately tested for COVID-19
- Ontario Commits to High-Speed Internet Access – Wawa & Area to Benefit - August 8, 2022
- FedNor invests over $950,000 to grow and diversify the agri-food sector in Algoma region - August 6, 2022
- Algoma Steel Tables Revised Best and Final Offer in Collective Agreement Negotiations with USW Local 2251 - August 6, 2022