Community

Giving Karin a Hand

On Tuesday, May 23rd, Jessie L., Astrid Dereski, and myself, hopped in Karin Grundt’s Ford Ranger and headed for Highway 101, which she had mentioned is a cake walk in comparison to Highway 17. We were going to pick up garbage off the side of the road, mainly from individuals tossing it out their window as they enter or ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – May 31st

May 31, 2017 @ 07:47 Weather – Rain with fog patches along the lakeshore this morning. High of 8. Tonight there may be a risk of frost, so take care of your tender plants. News Tidbits – Today is Camp Day! Go out and enjoy a coffee at Tim’s and support

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – May 30

May 30, 2017 @ 07:45 Weather – Showers today with fog patches dissipating late this morning. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this afternoon. High 10C is expected.   News Tidbits – RBC is holding a community information session in Dubreuilville today from 6 – 8 p.m. in the school. Remember Push for Change – Joe Roberts is in Regina! SSM Swing Dam ...

Read More »

News from the Park – Northern Ontario Focus, FAO Report

May 29, 2017 @ 08:05 Those of you who follow my News from the Park column weekly or tune into the televised proceedings of the Ontario Legislature will know how frequently I raise the issue that we Northerners sometimes feel slighted or forgotten by the government and their policy makers. You know the old line of reminding southerners that life ...

Read More »

My Thanks to Jordan!

Jordan Roberts was the only person who answered my plea for volunteers to help clean up the mess in our outdoors. His call came only a little late for our ‘Highway Blitz’ since we are a bunch of ‘regulars’. I asked him if he would mind doing some clean-up around his neighbourhood… and he agreed. This is what he ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – May 28

Weather – Mainly cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers and risk of thunderstorms. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 15. News Tidbits –  Tonight is Spring Fling!

Read More »

A Bear Dragged it Away!

May 28, 2017 @ 08:50   What is wrong with this picture? Nothing!!   Absolutely nothing — and with all the other garbage in the bush, and gravel pits. Nothing wrong to choke out natural resources with furniture, tv’s, discarded building materials, carpets and trash of every size and colour — as long as nobody sees you doing it! Even ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – May 26

May 26, 2017 @ 07:27 Weather – A mix of sun and cloud today with a 30% chance of showers this afternoon. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High of 20C and the humidity is at 96%. Forest Fires – There were no new fires confirmed in the Northeast Region between May 23 and the afternoon of May 25. So far this fire season, there have ...

Read More »

Hawk Road & Treasures at the Load Check

May 25, 2017 @ 09:02   Road construction on Highway 17 north brought our cleanup to a stop — but we did the immediate area, about 5 kilometers from the Goose north to a little past the shooting range. On that short stretch, we pulled 15 bags of trash (and when I say 15 bags, they are filled to the ...

Read More »

Wawa’s first ever Environmental Appreciation Day!

May 24, 2017 @ 10:46   On Tuesday, May 15th the first annual Wawa Environmental Appreciation Day was held. Mayor Ron Rody presented a surprised Karin Grundt with the inaugural Environmental Appreciation Award for her outstanding work as a garbologist and her tireless advocacy and educating people about littering.   Karin began picking up the garbage along the highway in ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – May 24

Weather – Mainly cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers with a high 15 today. News Tidbits – A call centre in Sudbury is using credit checks as part of their hiring process. Apparently, this would help protect their clients from poor employees. Wouldn’t an employee with debt, be more vested in retaining their job? Terrace Bay is having some excitement ...

Read More »

News from the Park – Aboriginal Youth in Care, Healthcare & Hydro Rates

May 23, 2017 @ 08:06 Few would argue the notion that Ontario has been blessed with an abundance of priceless resources. We enjoy access to a vast number of beautiful lakes and the fresh water of the Great Lakes, valuable mineral and ore deposits, fertile agricultural land and many thousands of square kilometres of trees. But without any doubt I ...

Read More »

‘Think before you Toss!’

After cleaning Highway 17 south to the Soo, we took a little break from the freezing, merciless wind. I could feel the chill for days. This gave me time to count beer cans, organize and reflect.   Drinking and driving is sadly, still in full swing.   People, what is wrong with you!!!   On that short stretch of Highway ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – May 20th

Weather – Bright and sunny this morning with Watson’s flying early. It is expected to be mainly sunny this morning with increasing cloudiness this afternoon. The wind will change to the east and be light. A high of 15C is expected. Rain is expected after midnight, with winds gusting to 40km from the east. Now that Pickerel Season is open, ...

Read More »

Happenings at First United Church – May 18

The Congregation welcomes everyone to worship at First United Church. Services are held on Sunday at 11:a.m. If anyone has a question or concern please leave a message on the answering machine at the Church 705-856-2926.   Thurs. May 25 – Worship Committee – 9:30 a.m. Sat. June 03 – Prayer Shawl Ministry – 3 p.m. Mon. June 05 – ...

Read More »