Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

HARP Launches Red Lock Campaign – Locks Available at MMCC

Group Health Centre’s HARP (HIV/AIDS Resource Program) is excited to announce their Red Lock campaign, launching across Algoma Tuesday, November 26th. This year the HARP team is bringing a special campaign to the Algoma region. The Red Lock campaign is a unique twist on the Red Scarf campaign from previous years. HARP invites you to visit one of their Red Lock ...

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – November 27

Weather – Cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries early this morning. Snow at times heavy beginning this morning. Risk of freezing drizzle early this morning. Blowing snow. Amount 15 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. High minus 4. Wind chill near minus 14. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. Local blowing snow this ...

Read More »

La tradition de la tire de Sainte-Catherine est célébrée à l’école Saint-Joseph

  À l’école Saint-Joseph (Wawa), la tradition de la tire Sainte-Catherine se poursuit.   Hier, le 25 novembre, Mme Carole Bouffard, enseignante, et les élèves du cours d’art dramatique, Kaléya Bélanger, Ella Leadbetter, Morgandy Leadbeater, Cora Nelson et Kelsey Scott ont préparé de la tire pour tous les élèves de l’école élémentaire et de l’école secondaire! Par ce partage, on ...

Read More »

Manitouwadge and Hornepayne are out of the NWMO Site Selection Process

Manitouwadge Mayor John MacEachern announced today that Manitouwadge and Hornepayne are out of the NWMO Site Selection Process. “Later today, the NWMO will announce that the Township of Manitouwadge, as well as the Township of Hornepayne, will no longer continue to be considered as potential host areas for the deep geological repository. In addition, either the Township of Huron-Kinloss or ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – November 26

Weather – Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. 40 percent chance of showers near Lake Superior this morning. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h this morning. Temperature falling to minus 1 this afternoon. Wind chill minus 8 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries overnight with risk of freezing drizzle. Wind northeast ...

Read More »

Excitement in Wawa

  At about 1:30 this afternoon, a local business on Government Road had to close their doors for the day. Apparently a stolen U-Haul was dumped, and the two occupants then stole a snow machine and attempted to get away. Witnesses say that the stolen machine was recovered at Circle K and one person found. Wawa-news has been informed that OPP ...

Read More »

Metered Water Billing to be implemented next year

  On November 5th Council Meeting, Municipal CAO Maury O’Neill made a presentation to Council and the gallery about the impending Water Metering Billing. The province of Ontario has mandated that municipalities achieve full cost recovery for water treatment. The water meters were installed over 2103/14 in residences and businesses. This was because the current rate structure is based on ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – November 25

Nov 24, 2019 @ 07:56 Weather – Cloudy. Snow beginning this morning. Rain near Lake Superior late this afternoon. Amount 2 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. High plus 2. Wind chill minus 5 this morning. Tonight – Snow. Rain near Lake Superior. Amount 2 cm inland. Low zero. News Tidbits – Opposition continues to mount against the proposed ferrochrome ...

Read More »

2019 Fall By-Hands Festival

Nov 24, 2019 @ 08:35 The Fall By-Hands Festival is eagerly awaited by shoppers in Wawa. Local artisans have spent months preparing for the show, and on Friday, November 8th – their efforts were unveiled. Most of the artisans were pleased with the attendance and had good sales. Judy Moore was sold out by 7:30 p.m. Friday night, but Isabella ...

Read More »

Sunday Morning News – November 24

Nov 24, 2019 @ 07:56 Weather – Flurries or a few rain showers ending this afternoon then cloudy with 30 percent chance of rain showers. Local snowfall amount 2 cm. Temperature steady near plus 2. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 4. Wind chill minus 6 overnight. News Tidbits – ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – November 23

Nov 23, 2019 @ 07:56 Weather – Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries changing to 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries near noon. Wind southwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High plus 1. Wind chill minus 7 this morning. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries and risk of ...

Read More »