Author Archives: Brenda Stockton

Friday Morning News – December 6

Weather – Periods of snow ending early this morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Clearing this afternoon. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light near noon. Temperature steady near minus 8. Wind chill near minus 17. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – A few clouds. Increasing cloudiness after midnight then 60 percent chance of flurries overnight. ...

Read More »

Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation Stage One-Day Strike

  Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation staged a one-day strike to protest planned government changes including larger class sizes and students having to take some e-courses. In Wawa, the striking teachers joined forces and walked up to the Wawa Post Office and then returned to picket outside of Michipicoten High School. Yesterday’s strike followed six days of information pickets – ...

Read More »

Thursday Morning News – December 6

Weather – Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of snow late this afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 6. Wind chill minus 18 this morning and minus 8 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Periods of snow. Amount 2 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 11. Wind chill minus 10 this evening and minus ...

Read More »

What Happened at Council – December 4

On December 4th at 12 Noon, Council held a Special Council meeting. All members except Robert Reece were present. Cathy Cyr was the only staff member present. During the announcements, Mayor Rody commented on the hard work of the Wawa Fire Department during the fire of the Pinewood Inn on November 29th. He said, “I just want to acknowledge the ...

Read More »

Special Council Meeting Today – December 4

There is a Special Council Meeting Scheduled to day at 12 Noon. On the agenda there are threee items: Waive Tendering Policy (resolution) Accept KPMG Quotation – Municipal Service Review (resolution) Approve Submission of Funding Application – Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Municipal Modernization Program (resolution)

Read More »

Wednesday Morning News – December 4

Weather – Flurries ending this morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. Temperature steady near minus 3. Wind chill minus 5 this morning and minus 10 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries early this evening. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus ...

Read More »

Walking Program at MHS Cancelled for Dec. 4

Dec 4, 2019 @ 07:36 Due to the one day strike by members of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) the Lady Dunn Health Centre’s Walking Program at Michipicoten High School has been cancelled for Wednesday, December 4th. The Walking Program will resume Thursday, December 5th. Members from the community are invited to walk the halls of Michipicoten High School ...

Read More »

School Closures

Dec 4, 2019 @ 07:08 CSC Nouvelon schools are closed (École Saint-Joseph Wawa & É.s. Saint-Joseph Wawa) – CLOSED The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF), the union that represents support staff in all of our schools, will conduct a one-day full strike – withdrawal of all services –today (Wednesday, December 4, 2019) since no contract agreement has yet been ...

Read More »

Today is Giving Tuesday

The Lady Dunn Health Centre Foundation is participating in Giving Tuesday by raising funds for the current campaign of $125,000 for a new washer/disinfector and sterilizer for the Medical Device Reprocessing Department. Their goal is to raise $1,000 of online donations within 24 hours on December 3rd! Online donations can be made at https://givingtuesday.ca/partners/lady-dunn-health-centre-foundation Your gift today will make a ...

Read More »

Tuesday Morning News – December 3

Weather – Flurries. Risk of freezing drizzle this afternoon. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. High plus 1. Wind chill minus 6 this morning. Tonight – Flurries. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 7. Wind chill minus 11 overnight. News Tidbits – SSM has agreed to integrate the SSM EDC and Tourism EDC into the ...

Read More »

Monday Morning News – December 2

Weather – A mix of sun and cloud. Clearing this morning. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 3. Wind chill minus 20 this morning and minus 5 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Increasing cloudiness. 40 percent chance of flurries before morning. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 8. Wind chill minus 13 this evening. ...

Read More »

Holiday Train to visit our area today

  The CP Holiday Train will be visiting Chapleau and White River tonight, and communities west of White River tomorrow (Mobert to Thunder Bay). Scott Helman and Madeline Merlo will be performing. White River is holding a Community Christmas Party and Potluck. The doors open at 5:30 p.m., dinner at 6:00 p.m. Santa will be giving out gifts at 7:00 p.m. ...

Read More »

Saturday Morning News – November 30

Weather – A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries this morning. Wind becoming east 20 km/h this afternoon. High minus 5. Wind chill minus 19 this morning and minus 10 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Partly cloudy. Wind east 20 km/h. Low minus 13. Wind chill minus 14 this evening and minus ...

Read More »

Pinewood Inn on fire

Nov 30, 2019 @ 01:55 – The above photo was taken at 1:30 a.m. The building continues to burn and firefighters remain on scene. Nov 29, 2019 @ 15:55 – The blaze continues on Pinewood Drive as the vacant Pinewood Inn burns. The centre portion has collapsed, and the fire has spread to the rooms that flanked the central restaurant ...

Read More »

Friday Morning News – November 29

Weather – Mainly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 5. Wind chill minus 14 this morning and minus 8 this afternoon. UV index 1 or low. Tonight – Partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 13. Wind chill near minus 16. News Tidbits – The Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort in Batchawana Bay, has sold Nov. ...

Read More »