Nov 29, 2019 @ 21:57
November 29, 2019
Dear ADSB Families of Elementary and Secondary Students:
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) has provided notice that it is escalating its work-to-rule strike action to a full withdrawal of services (otherwise known as a strike or walkout) for one day, on Wednesday, December 4, 2019 if a provincial agreement is not reached before that date. In the Algoma District School Board, this union represents the following employee groups, some of which work at both the elementary and secondary level:
- all Secondary, Continuing and Adult Education Teachers (contract and occasional)
- all Educational Assistants (EAs)
- all Early Childhood Educators (ECEs)
- all Secretaries/Administrative Office Staff
- all Library Technicians
- all Noon Hour Assistants.
Please be advised that if this job action happens as scheduled, the Board will close all schools for all students on Wednesday, December 4, 2019 and that classes will resume again on Thursday, December 5, 2019. This means that parents will be required to make alternate arrangements for their children on December 4th. Please know that this is not a decision we made lightly. While we have explored every possible contingency plan to keep schools open, we simply cannot guarantee that our learning environments will remain safe for all students without the services that these school-based employees provide.
Additionally, please note the following information for Wednesday, December 4th:
- all third-party licensed Childcare Operators/Before & After Programs in ADSB will be permitted to remain open, however please check with your childcare operator directly to confirm or for more information;
- all Community Use of Schools will continue;
- all Adult and Continuing Education classes are cancelled;
- any scheduled School Council meetings or school-based meetings, activities and sports are cancelled.
While ADSB is not directly involved in provincial negotiations, the Board remains hopeful that an agreement can be reached before December 4th as negotiations are continuing over the weekend. We will provide further updates at www.adsb.on.ca as these circumstances change.
‘Jennifer Sarlo, Chair, Algoma District School Board
Lucia Reece, Director of Education