Sep 27, 2017 @ 08:07
On Highway 17/614 in the Marathon/Manitouwadge area over the previous four months, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers have charged ten drivers under the Highway Traffic Act for speeding 50km/hr or more over the posted speed limit.
- June 22, a 66 year old male of Longueil, QC. 144km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- July 7, a 45 year old male of Scarborough, ON. 144km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- July 13, a 58 year old male of LaSalle, QC. 148km/hr in a 90km/hr zone.
- July 13, a 40 year old male of Vancouver, BC. 145km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- July 30, a 39 year old male of Winnipeg, MB. 141km/hr in 90km/hr zone
- Sept 5, a 24 year old male of Rainy River, ON. 143km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- Sept 13, a 36 year old female of Manitouwadge, ON. 147km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- Sept 25, a 27 year old male of Toronto, ON. 145km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- Sept 25, a 23 year old male of Peterborough, ON. 143km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
- Sept 25, a 21 year old male of Thames Centre, ON. 143km/hr in 90km/hr zone.
Drivers are reminded that driving speeds of 50km/hr or more over the posted speed limit face severe penalties including:
- Mandatory 7 day licence suspension
- Mandatory 7 day vehicle impoundment
- Minimum fine $2000 up to $10,000
- 6 license demerit points
Also drivers of the vehicle are responsible for the tow and storage fee of the vehicle as well as paying a drivers licence re-instatement fee.
Racing or Stunt driving can also include jumping a green light, wheelies or even doing donuts. There are many Construction Zones on our highways. Speed limit signs are posted in the areas and drivers are asked to adjust their speeds according to the speed limits posted.
The public is encouraged to contact police at 1-800-310-1122 whenever suspecting that a driver is operating a motor vehicle in a dangerous manner.
- Hornepayne OPP – Trafficking Charges Laid - September 28, 2023
- SE OPP – Blind River Man Charged after Traffic Complaint - September 28, 2023
- SE OPP Hornepayne – ATV Impounded, Driver Charged while driving under suspension - September 28, 2023