Mar 7, 2022 at 07:56
- Today – Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries early this morning then a mix of sun and cloud. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 1. Wind chill minus 11 this morning and minus 4 this afternoon. UV index 2 or low.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 17. Wind chill minus 9 this evening and minus 20 overnight.
|Current||Previous||Change from previous report|
|Close contact of a confirmed case||1,642||1,629||13|
|Unknown Source of Infection||3,075||3,040||35|
|Central & East Algoma||546||541||5|
|Elliot Lake & Area||206||203||3|
|Sault Ste. Marie & Area||4,411||4,369||42|
- Fascinating to read that the Atlanta, with her cargo of coal and all but two of her crew sank on May 4, 1891 has been found. The 172-foot schooner-barge was found 35 miles off Deer Park, Mich., in 650 feet of water in Lake Superior. She was being towed by the steamer Wilhelm when both vessels got caught in a northwest gale. The tow rope snapped, and with no sails (means of power), the Atlanta was abandoned by her crew. Tragically, all but two of the crew perished when their lifeboat overturned in the waves near shore while attempting to land. The cold water of Lake Superior has preserved the Atlanta, and her carved nameplate is clearly visible in the video taken of the vessel.
- The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) is funding Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services and Waabinong Head Start Family Resource Centre with $1 million to build a childcare facility that provides educational programs for Indigenous preschoolers and their families that promote the Anishinaabek culture and language in Sault Ste. Marie. This is also expected to generate 24 new jobs in the local economy.
- $2.5 million is being invested into the Addictions Recovery Fund to immediately enhance access to addictions treatment supports at Sudbury’s Monarch Recovery Services to provide access to a total of 15 new addictions treatment beds
- Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, will be joined by Lorne Coe, MPP for Whitby, to make an announcement at 9:30 a.m. in Whitby
- Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, to make an announcement at 12 Noon