On February 3, 2017; the 2017 Ontario Sustainable Energy Association’s Powering Prosperity Awards were presented during the Powering Prosperity Gala and Ceremony. The awards honour the champions of Ontario’s sustainable energy sector. The award presentation ceremonies occurred after a speech by Hon. Glen Murray, Ontario’s Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, and keynote speaker Dr. Harry Lehmann, Head of Division I for “Environmental Planning and Sustainable Strategies” of the German Federal Environment Agency.
In the category of Powering Prosperity Award Winners, the Community Project of the Year Award was presented to The Wawa Energy Plan Project. This community project has demonstrated innovative community engagement, best practices and shines the light on the project lead, Economic Development Corporation of Wawa, whose grassroots and capital initiatives encourages energy conservation in Wawa.
In August 2014, the Municipality contracted the EDC of Wawa to develop a local Energy Strategy. The Wawa Energy Plan (WEP) Committee was formed to lead the development of the planning process which included municipal and stakeholder representatives who met monthly throughout the process. The goal of the WEP is that through community education and energy savings programs provided by the Municipality of Wawa and its partners, Wawa will decrease its energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. By 2025, Wawa will achieve a per capita reduction of:
a. 10% of its electricity use,
b. 25% of its municipal water use, and
c. 25% of its waste production through an affordable recycling and composting program.
The Wawa Energy Plan Committee is:
- Maury O’Neill, CEO, Economic Development Corporation of Wawa,
- Emily Cormier, Energy Project Manager, EDC of Wawa,
- Jessie Labonte, Executive Assistant, EDC of Wawa,
- Jim McHardy, Chair, Wawa Energy Plan Committee,
- Ron Rody, Mayor, Municipality of Wawa,
- Yvan Besner, Councillor, Municipality of Wawa,
- Jason Morrison, Director IT & GIS, Municipality of Wawa,
- Karry Anne Campbell, Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry,
- Ralph Spaans, Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry,
- Andy Stevens, Chair, EDC of Wawa,
- Mike Abbott, Community Representative, Wawa Energy Plan Committee,
- Jody Tait, Energy Conservation Advisor, Algoma Power Inc., and
- Russell Reid, Executive Director, Regional Employment Help Centre.
- Additional individuals associated with River View Public School have tested positive for Covid-19 - October 23, 2021
- Morning News – October 23 - October 23, 2021
- PSA: 2 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 (#487 – #488) - October 22, 2021